Seven years since annual service ok?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tuner fish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I've got all this old gear, Nikonos V and all the lenses, Housing for Nikon F100 (film camera) strobe. All of it has not been serviced in seven years. Two questions:

How long can I push use without service? Again seven years and 180 to 190 dives on the nikonos, 50 to 60 dives with the Ikelite housing.

What's the risk? If one of lenses floods, I could toss it. If the body floods, pick up a used one. Losing the F100 would be hard but it's a film camera.

I'll be in Dominica in 3 weeks. All advice appreciated.

How long you can push without service really depends on the environment it's been in. Air, humidity, friction, use, all take a toll on O-rings. O-rings break down over time, becoming dry and brittle and they can fall apart. They can last a long time if they were greased though. Only way to know what shape they're in is to take 'em out, touch 'em, grease 'em, and test 'em! If black stuff comes off on your hands, they're bad. If they snap, they're bad. If they leak, they're bad!

What's the risk? With film, you risk losing that roll if it floods, and even that might be salvageable if you do it right.

I'd suggest you change the o-rings you can, and grease the rest with proper silicone grease (not the spray, that dries them out). If they're brittle or break upon removal, don't feel bad, they just would've have flooded under pressure anyway. Test them out in the pool, maybe leave the F100 on the deck first!, and be sure to turn all the knobs and dials. Bring it up and check for leaks!

Thanks Santiago,
I think the F100 and housing are not going on the next trip. As for the nikonos, I'm going to risk it one more time. All the o-rings I can get to are removed and stored seperately.

I'll roll the dice one more time.

Back
Top Bottom