Setting up an OMS wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a 32 pound OMS wing and am attaching it to a backplate via the OMS single tank adapter. The wing has slots in it for straps. Do these strap slots normally get used or is all that is needed to attach the wing is to use the 2 wing nuts and studs?

If the slots don't get used why are they there?

If your BP has cam band slots & the slots are compatible with the slots in your wing you can thread the cam bands through these thus avoiding the use of the STA. Some will say that this set up wont be stable. Depending on the design of the BP this may or may not be true.

If the BP has no cam band slots, or they don't align with the slots of your wing, your only option is to use the STA.

If you prefer to use the STA even if your BP has slots & the align with those of your wing, ignore the slots & just use the nuts & studs.

Don't know if this should have its own thread. But I noticed my OMS 32 wing has a pretty short inflation hose...as in the mouth blown hose.

If I set it up over my right shoulder it gives it a little more length. Should an inflation hose for the wing always be set up over the left shoulder or is it up to the diver which side to use? Yes, the hose works over the left shoulder. But just barely reaches the mouth.

When you're diving you might find that the hose is the correct length coming over the left shoulder. The position of the wing may push the hose a bit more forward.

Some folks find the shorter hose to be an asset: no dangly inflator hose.

When you're diving you might find that the hose is the correct length coming over the left shoulder. The position of the wing may push the hose a bit more forward.

Some folks find the shorter hose to be an asset: no dangly inflator hose.

I was wondering about the shortness and the Hogarthian scheme of things. Will see how it dives then. Thanks.

I like a short hose. I've had to shorten my currogated hose on all my DR wings. My Agir hose was fine out of the box. Mine ends right at the d-ring. I keep a small loop of bungee under the tri-glide to I just slip the end of the inflator in the loop and it stays tight against the harness so there is no sloppiness. I also put a couple of strips of inner tube around the currogated hose where I run my LP hose through and keep it nice and clean.

Another point about the OMS inflator is that the inflator button is pointing away from the chest. Many others point toward the chest and it makes it easier to operate your drysuit inflator and wing at the same time (e.g. during descents, etc.). Not sure if that is an issue for you, but may be worth checking out a new inflator mechanism if you want/need one-handed operation.

I'd also cut the ball off the butt dump, and replace it with some thicker knotted line.

If your BP has cam band slots & the slots are compatible with the slots in your wing you can thread the cam bands through these thus avoiding the use of the STA. Some will say that this set up wont be stable. Depending on the design of the BP this may or may not be true.

Just noticed this. I started off with a STA and didn't like the extra weight back there. If the plate is an OMS plate then the slots on the OMS 32 lb wing should line up fine for using cam bands...that's how my singles are set up and it's solid like a rock. Anyone want to buy a STA?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom