Servising UW housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DJ69

Reaction score
Is there a need to service my UW housing ?
I greas the big oring as needed but what about the orings in the nobs and buttons ?

Hello,

The answer is yes and no.

Yes because the knobs/buttons uses glands and they have a service life.

No because it's not a yearly thing like regulators/cameras and the like.

Depending on which housing you have. My ikelite they say service it after 200 dives or hours, i forgot which. If you have a flood then definately service it.

Ed

Depends on which housing you have. Ikelite makes overhaul kits that include all the control O rings. Olympus does not. Depending on whom you talk to some say no need to touch the Olympus control O rings. I disagree. Eventually they will need greasing and/or replacing. I am currently in the process of obtaining those control O rings and the E clips that hold the plungers on as well as instructions for dismantling the various controls from a contact person in Japan. Apparently they are available there from generic sources. You can send an Olympus housing to some of the US dealers for overhaul and it will be pricey. Guess they have found a source for the parts which they obviously aren't going to share. When I accomplish my task I will post the instructions on my web page. I will also send the O rings and clips to US companies and hopefully find a source for them. :shades:

Takeing my OlyHouse apart does not seem like a problem.
Several clips (Shplint) and maybe a small "Allen" scrow. Also getting hold of orings and stuff like this is not a big problem as the dive center I hang around at have a lab filled with every thing for fixing all type of scuba gear.

So the question is -
Is it needed ? :rolleyes:

waiting for it to flud does not sound good, and since I'm kinda planing to take it with me down to 40m, when it's only rated 30m, at least I want to know that it's in top shape.

DJ69 sounds like your greatest risk is taking it down to 40 m instead of the manufacturers stated 30 m. Are you on a mission to prove Olympus wrong? Are you willing to take you entire hosing apart every 3, 4 ,5 or more dives? Servicing the control O rings won't offset your violating the depth ratings.

Hello,

the problem does not come with disassembly/reassembly but in pressure testing to make sure everything is working correctly.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom