Servicing Your U/W Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

annasea

Contributor
Reaction score
During my recent trip, I had issues with my Canon u/w housing (I'm hoping to upgrade to an Ikelite housing soon)... both the zoom and the shutter button were *sticking*. Meaning while I could physically move the zoom button on the housing, the zoom on the camera itself wasn't moving. I could press the shutter button all the way, but was unable to press it halfway to focus.

At first, I thought this was due to the depth--127'--as this is only 3' away from what the housing is rated for. But then it happened at depths as shallow as 10'. So then I thought of salt/gunk build-up.

Since my housing is positively buoyant, it doesn't sink all the way in the rinse tank. The top right corner of the housing floats above the surface unless I weigh it down with something. What's in the top right corner? The zoom control and the shutter button. So now I make sure to attach my computer or something else weighty to immerse the entire housing for soaking after diving.

It was suggested to me that soaking isn't enough... u/w housings need regular maintenance such as removing the springs and o-rings, cleaning the springs with alcohol, I believe, and replacing or regreasing the o-rings. The person who suggested this does this as often as 50-75 dives to his housing.

My manual does not address this issue. Please share your experience. :)

OEM housings aren't really designed to be regularly taken apart, unless you're extremely capable with mechanical assembly. An example might be that most use snap springs to hold the posts in place and they're very small and easy to lose. Additionally, the manufacturers of these types of housings are usually not available for the consumer to order parts from. So if you have an issue with an oring or other piece you'd have to try and source it from someone else. I know Olympus has a service where you can have the housing serviced through them. I'm unsure of Canon's policy. When my buttons stuck on my old housing, I simply grabbed some silicone and use a wooden toothpick to apply it to the base of the post, then work the button as much as I can. This usually frees up a stuck button.

I suffer the same dilema...I don't want to have a flood I could have avoided, but there isn't much info out there. So I do the following: I soak the housing in warm water with a drop of mild soap after I get home, occasionally working the buttons. (luckily mine is big enough to place a small weight inside so it sinks). I let a slow stream of water go over the button area also. Then I walk away....for a whole day. (Probably over kill) I take it out when I remember, and dry it off, and then I let it air dry completely. I then use a food grade silicone spray, (got it at Gander Mountain in the department that sells dried food goods and meat grinder and slicers, but Mcnetts has a type you can order off the internet)
http://mcnett.baron-co.com/images/editor/SiliconeSpray-ts.doc
This is a doc that tells you what the product is.
I then take a dental syringe and drop 1 drop of the silicone into each button on the outside of the uw case and work it in and out. Then I put the housing away until I can break a hole thru the frozen water of Wisconsin and go diving. It seems to have worked for me fine for over 2 years. I did have a problem with the shutter plunger button on the housing last summer not seeming to reach the button on the camera. I think the tiny rubber boot was compacting over time so I stuck a tiny tiny tiny piece of paper towel in the rubber boot and it has worked fine since then. I will probably replace the paper towel addition in time. Hope this helps..I know I am so anal about flooding I make Cheddarguy crazy with the prep routine LOL

I suggest you send your Canon housing in for service. This is where the Ikelite shines in comparison with their industrial strength build.

My Canon DC-12 had a button that kept compressing. I took the housing apart and cleaned and lubricated and stretched the problem spring. I do not recommend the average person take their housing apart.

I have found using the Ikelite beside the Canon DC-12, both work great, the Ikelite is more serviceable and robust. The Canon housing is harder to rinse, you really need to get a good flushing of the control glands in clean, cool, water. Pump the control glands up and down or operate them repeatedly while submerged.

If your rinse is a dunk in the dive boat rinse tank---we have a problem Houston.

My opinion, the manufacturer housings are good for several years of moderate use and are meant to be semi-disposable. The Ikelite will outlive the usefulness of the camera.

A drop or two of the food grade liquid silicone will do the housing control glands good. I think it is a good maintenance practice. JMO. I use a syringe, be careful not to stab yourself in the eye or something---lol.

N

Thank you for the replies! Very helpful indeed. :)

I have soft 1 lb weights that I can tuck into my housing when I get home in order to sink it easily for a good, long soak. Good to know about the silicone spray! (And glad to see it's available in pump not aerosol.)

I'm getting to the point where I feel I'm wasting my time down there with a camera without a strobe so I'm seriously leaning towards upgrading my housing to an Ikelite. Thx, N, for that extra push in the Ikelite direction. :wink:

BTW, if anyone knows where I can pick up an Ikelite housing for less than $300US, post or PM.

NOoooooooooo.

Not silicone spray. No, do not spray the housing with silicone spray. We are talking about the pure 100% food grade liquid silicone usually in a finger pump bottle. Never use silicone spray-ever. Just a little drop of the food grade silicone per control gland.

N

I found this on ScubaToys' website: McNett's. Is this OK to use? Apparently it's food grade.

If not, based on CheddarChick's description of Gander Mountain (we don't have it in Canada) maybe I can try some higher end cooking utensils shop for food grade silicone. :confused:

N
what is a control gland?

Looks good to me...food grade silicone. what kills me is you pay 9.00 them add 7.00 for shipping....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom