Servicing your own regulators

Would you take a Manufacturer Approved Class on regulator servicing if offered?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your underlying assumption is incorrect. Taiwanese made regsets are, for the most part, very high quality and capable of decades of service with minor maintenance. And they aren't necessarily that cheap either. You are looking at $550-$700 for a HOG D3 or Deep 6 regset with octo.
It’s like crapping on Korean cars because you remember them being terrible in the 90’s.

For yourself maybe.

Just keep in mind, if your servicing regulators, or any other life support systems for someone else, you own the liability.

Rose
This is a moot point for HOG and Deep Six regs because the course only certifies you to work on your own regs. Not for others. Anyone doing that needs to be a shop tech where the shop carries insurance or one needs to have the sense to carry liability insurance.
I have been servicing my own regs since 2006 when I got certified as an Oceanic tech. I stopped servicing those when I could no longer get parts because the shop failed. If Oceanic would have sold me kits I wouldn't have stopped diving their regs. I bought hogs because I was not treated like an idiot who might screw something up on my own regs. I became a dealer in 2011 and service tech instructor in 2012.
Then I wrote the Deep Six manual when they came on the scene and I have trained over 50 divers to service their own regs.
The HOG and Deep Six regs are as reliable as any other. They are proven designs from companies that work to take care of divers.
Some of the so-called majors are not looking out for the diver. The shop is their customer and the diver is an afterthought. This is evidenced by the draconian pricing and parts availability policies they have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom