Servicing an older aqualung calypso

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oper8ter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Last weekend I did something pretty stupid, and I hope someone can help. I opend up the first stage of my aqualung calypso to make sure the O-rings were intact, gave everything a once over and things looked fine so I put it back together, when I did I noticed two small springs, and did not see where they had come from. It is a piston regulator so I'm thinking they had to come from around the piston moving it in one direction or the other. If anyone can help please let me know.

My first response is that this is an obvious troll, but then again it is just too obvious and easy.

WHY did you take the reg apart?
Do you have the service manual for the reg?
Is this a reg that you dive, or ever expect to dive?
Are you just using this reg as a junker to practice on before working on other regs?
Do you have the Regulator book from airspeed press?

Out of curiousity, I consider myself very technically oriented usually, and I'm not sure how I didn't see where they had come from. I do not have the service manual since it is older, I do expect to dive it hopefully my lds will be able to help. I just figured someone might be able to confirm my suspicion of where they were located.

To go over the reg before diving it.

Usually the hardest part of servicing regulators is getting the manuals and parts. Make friends with a good shop that has a good tech, they will be able to help you more than you know.

There are still plenty of threads all over the web where many of us are looking for manuals & parts for our old Calypso regulators. I'm looking for a manual for my USD Aqua-lung Calypso VI regulator, both 1st & 2nd stages. If someone knows of a shop that has the parts to overhaul these 1st stages please PM me!

I have found a few manuals, yet my 1st stage has the roughly 45 degree angular HP port. I've found 2 "Calypso" manuals online & neither look like mine. They seem to be very similar, yet if I'm going to use this regulator again, I want to be sure she gets a good overhaul 1st!

Anyone know of a place that has the parts & services these?

I bought mine around 1984 & LOVE this reg! I suppose I could replace the 1st stage, yet have no experience with swapping out the 1st stage. Has anyone else done this? If so, which 1st stage? results? (the tech that has mine now suggested this.)

My 1st choice would be to have my 1st stage rebuilt & properly tested (2nd is already being done)

I have some pics of the same 1st stage as mine if that would help.

Thanks in advance!

PM Sent

You have the original Calypso (as opposed the Calypso J) you can find the manual here. Download the second one.- aqualung repair manual
https://backup.filesanywhere.com/fs/Link.aspx
Bryan has a few parts for the first and second stage.
The HP seat can be flipped and the other side used but I recommend you don't unless you just have to, replacements are hard to find.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom