Service Not My Own Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cawoodchuck

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I worked at LDS a few years back and was certified through a manufacture for their gear. I want to start servicing gear again but what insurance is required for me to have? I assume some sort of liability insurance? I know dive instructors have insurance but what about service repair technicians? Thanks in advance for any insights.

—Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Good question-but this is the DIY forum where we don't need no stinking insurance to work on our own regulators. Consider asking in (or having a moderator move to) one of the forums where the legal-eagles could better advise you. Perhaps:
Dive Insurance
or Diving Litigation
or Business of Diving Institute

In the meantime, I'll tag two guys who probably know the answer. @rsingler @Jim Lapenta

I was operating as an LLC when I did service work previously. Just trying to find out if some sort of insurance should be included.

I'm not a Maryland attorney, nor an insurance expert, but I'd say you'll probably want both an LLC and insurance. LLC gives you a legal argument that you aren't personally liable, but they can sometimes get around that, and in any event can clean out any LLC assets if they win and you can't otherwise pay. Insurance pays if they are successful, probably best to have it cover both LLC and you personally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom