Service kit for O2-clean Scubapro Mk25?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunny_diver

Registered
Reaction score
I took the PSI-PCI Oxygen Cylinder Cleaning Technician course, but it only covered cylinders, just like the name says. The course did not cover cleaning regulators for oxygen service.
  • Is there a Scubapro Mk25 service kit for oxygen service? I haven't found one.
  • I don't believe O2-cleaning a second stage is necessary, since it should never see high pressure O2. Correct? (But what if the first stage malfunctions?)
  • If there are no special O2-clean kits, why are shops charging extra for O2-cleaning of regs?

There are indeed Mk25 O2 kits. Expensive!!
The seat is different and the o-rings are Viton, of course.

But that's only half the issue in the US. The primary driver of cost is minimizing liability.
You can say that after the reg left your shop it's on the diver/user. But the family of a deceased diver will sue anyway.
It doesn't matter how sloppy DIY divers are in O2 cleaning their own regs. The shop will be held to the highest standard the plaintiff's attorney can discover.

The shop needs to be able to document
1) oxygen safe lube
2) oxygen cleaned tools (!!) (documented)
3) oxygen cleaning (approved detergent)
4) clean rinses
5) inspection for residual hydrocarbon
6) inspection for adequate rinsing
7) U/V inspection (even tho it's close to useless)
8) testing with OCA
9) Sealed packaging
10) some statement that after the package is opened, that it's all on the diver

And that time and nonsense costs shop time.
And time is money.

I took the PSI-PCI Oxygen Cylinder Cleaning Technician course, but it only covered cylinders, just like the name says. The course did not cover cleaning regulators for oxygen service.
  • Is there a Scubapro Mk25 service kit for oxygen service? I haven't found one.
  • I don't believe O2-cleaning a second stage is necessary, since it should never see high pressure O2. Correct? (But what if the first stage malfunctions?)
  • If there are no special O2-clean kits, why are shops charging extra for O2-cleaning of regs?
I don’t have a lot of experience O2 cleaning regulators, just my own (2 sets) but I certainly have done some reading about it, and I’ve been servicing my own regs for a long time. I’ll weigh in on the 2nd stage issue. Once gas gets past the orifice, it’s at ambient pressure, with the exception of gas in the balance chamber. So maybe the
‘safest’ practice would be to use an unbalanced 2nd stage for an O2 deco reg, which is what I have done. I put ‘safest’ in quotes because its very likely to be one of those things that in theory can be argued, but in real life probably doesn’t matter. Other than that, maybe you could use a viton o-ring and O2 safe lube on the 2nd stage end of the hose.

The big issue with O2 cleaning is doing a thorough job of removing all traces of silicone grease from the interior of the 1st stage, and that is not easy or quick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom