Service for Flooded Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I flooded a Canon Powershot A640 recently, due to a faulty button on the housing-- the C clip fell off, allowing the button to let water in with every push of the button.

Fortunately, it's covered under insurance, but I need to find a place that can service them.

I can't find anyone to service the housing. Can anyone tell me a place in south Florida, or Florida, or close to Florida (driving there would be great, but minimizing postage expense would be handy too) where I can get a repair quote for both the camera and the housing?

There is no reliable way to service the camera. Period. Every electronic circuit is compromised by immersion in salt water when powered on. The lens will have deposits on all the optics and is hell to disassemble and clean. Rust will be on every screw. You may be able to salvage parts of the camera plastic shell parts as replacement parts. Service people buy things like battery doors, or even whole front or back parts.

The housing can be rinsed out with fresh water, no solvent or detergent, and allowed to dry. If the actuators are sticking, lubricate with silicone very lightly as described in this forum. Replace the E clip and you should be good to go. The best source of spare E-clips is another housing, unfortunately, but there are a lot of obsolete ones available cheaply.

A quick check of a major auction site shows completed sales for the camera in the last month in the price range of $80-150. The housing runs $125-250 if you choose to replace it.

I need a repair estimate from someone to get money from insurance. If it's toast, that's fine, but I need an estimate telling me that and giving a replacement cost to take to insurance so I can start taking pictures underwater again. :)

I need a repair estimate from someone to get money from insurance. If it's toast, that's fine, but I need an estimate telling me that and giving a replacement cost to take to insurance so I can start taking pictures underwater again. :)

Take it to a LDS and ask them for a written statement on their letterhead/estimate bill explaining that the camera is beyond repairable. The LDS should be able to get a "c" clamp from the manufacturer to replace missing one. That should satisfy the insurance company.

Take it to any canon dealer, there are hundreds in Florida including Best Buy.
Bill

Well, with both merriiaan and goveuness recommending доски обьявле I would suggest going there.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom