Sequential drive and the D-180

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For normal sequential mode (not HI or AF) the delay sequence is:

release shutter >> take 1st photo >> 1 sec delay >> 2nd photo >> .7 sec >> 3rd photo >> .7s >> 4th photo.

Even the mighty DS-125 can't keep up at full dump with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th frames being darker. It was fairly consistent throughout the frames at 1/2 power. The D-180 will skip and not fire at every alternate photo at full dump. It'll fire on every frame at half-dump but the 2nd, 3rd and 4th frames are darker than the first.

KimLeece:
LukeROB - that sounds promising! You just tried it with the ordinairy sequential mode - not the autofocus?

Yep this was with ordinairy sequential not autofocus. But I also found as ReyeR says above that doing anything but close focus stuff it will not keep up and misses about every other photo.
The D180 quoted 1.5sec recharge from full dump I sometimes think is generous, but I really don't see why you would need to be shooting sequential for slow moving or scenic shots. Just recompose and shot again.

Well, I just tried out sequential shooting with my setup and discovered that the main problem was not so much the strobe but the camera. The D-180 uses the flash on the camera to trigger but the refresh time on my camera strobe is very slow. So no chance of good sequential shots with good lighting.

Wolverine:
Well, I just tried out sequential shooting with my setup and discovered that the main problem was not so much the strobe but the camera. The D-180 uses the flash on the camera to trigger but the refresh time on my camera strobe is very slow. So no chance of good sequential shots with good lighting.

This is where the beauty of the C5050/C5060s 'Slave' flash mode really shines - it'll fire with an average of 0.7 secs in between each shot...

Wolverine:
How have you set your camera flash? I don't have my manual here with me - but I remember that it was supposed to be set in a particular way for sequential shooting.

Added: Sorry ReyeR - we posted at the same time!!:wink:

Wolverine - one other thing. If you weren't already using the camera in slave flash mode and you want to then you also have to install the magnet in the D-180! Slave flash has no 'pre-flash' - the magnet in the D-180 will cancel the circuitry that the D-180 uses to deal with the 'pre-flash'. If you don't have this properly set up you'll get synch problems. You'd better check your D-180 manual for a fuller explanation and instructions on how to do it.

KimLeece:
Wolverine - one other thing. If you weren't already using the camera in slave flash mode and you want to then you also have to install the magnet in the D-180! Slave flash has no 'pre-flash' - the magnet in the D-180 will cancel the circuitry that the D-180 uses to deal with the 'pre-flash'. If you don't have this properly set up you'll get synch problems. You'd better check your D-180 manual for a fuller explanation and instructions on how to do it.

Unfortunately, I am using a Nikon, which has no adjustment to cancel the preflash, which leaves me with a slow re-cycle rate on the camera. Just have to learn to watch the fish and snap just when it is about to turn. Quite interesting and frustrating at times, esp with clown fish.

Wolverine:
Unfortunately, I am using a Nikon, which has no adjustment to cancel the preflash, which leaves me with a slow re-cycle rate on the camera. Just have to learn to watch the fish and snap just when it is about to turn. Quite interesting and frustrating at times, esp with clown fish.
Sorry - I missed the camera type! I guess that would make it quite hard for sequential then. doesn't your camera manual have anything about the flash and sequential shooting?

KimLeece:
Sorry - I missed the camera type! I guess that would make it quite hard for sequential then. doesn't your camera manual have anything about the flash and sequential shooting?

Yeap... no flash! :11:

Back
Top Bottom