Sequential drive and the D-180

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
A while ago I started a thread about camera settings. ReyeR listed his settings and I noticed that he uses Sequential mode on all of them - both with external flash and without. I have studied my D-180 manual but I can't find any special setting for this mode. I am therefore now a bit confused!! Can anyone explain how this works? Does the strobe fire with every frame the camera takes? I know ReyeR doesn't have the D-180 so I don't know if he knows the answer to this. Has anyone who has the D-180 used sequential mode? I like the idea of it as fish tend to move about a bit - so three shots are often better than one!

KimLeece:
A while ago I started a thread about camera settings. ReyeR listed his settings and I noticed that he uses Sequential mode on all of them - both with external flash and without. I have studied my D-180 manual but I can't find any special setting for this mode. I am therefore now a bit confused!! Can anyone explain how this works? Does the strobe fire with every frame the camera takes? I know ReyeR doesn't have the D-180 so I don't know if he knows the answer to this. Has anyone who has the D-180 used sequential mode? I like the idea of it as fish tend to move about a bit - so three shots are often better than one!
I use sequential primarily because the Ikelite DS-125 can keep up with the C5050 in sequential and slave flash level 1. With the C5050 set in sequential (normal sequential, not hi or AF sequential) the delay is about a second between each shot when you keep the shutter released - enough time for the DS-125 to recycle and fire for each photo taken. There's no special setting needed for it, only your strobe needs to keep up with the camera.

Thanks for your prompt response ReyeR! So my question is simply - will the D-180 do the same thing? My manual tells me that the recycle time for the D-180 is at best 1.5 secs - however I presume that to be after a full flash discharge? Has anyone tried this? (I will the next time I get in the water) - ReyeR, out of interest do you know what the official (manual) recycle time is for your strobe?

I use sequential mode exclusivly with the D180. Most of the time it can keep up 100%. Occasionally, if the strobe is having to put out a lot of light, I may get a dark picture here and there.

But if you put it on Sequential with Autofocus, the time it takes for it to focus in between shots guarentees that the D180 will keep up, and all your pictures will be in focus to boot. Win Win situation.

Yes - I was thinking that the AF might do the trick! Any ideas how long the delay is between shots in Sequential AF?

ReyeR:
....the delay is about a second between each shot when you keep the shutter released -

Did you mean keep the shutter pressed?

KimLeece:
Yes - I was thinking that the AF might do the trick! Any ideas how long the delay is between shots in Sequential AF?
That is entirely dependent on how fast the camera is able to get AF for the next shot.

If between shots the scene doesn't change much, the next shot can come about 1 second later, maybe even less. Still enough time for the D180 to keep up at about 1/2 power.

If you are trying to spot focus on something moving quickly towards or away from you, the focus will take much longer. Up to 3 seconds in rare cases.

The best way to handle this is to try and keep the subject centered in the frame while tracking, and keep the distance between yourself and the subject nearly the same between shot.

My best advice is to always try and make your first shot the one you hope will be the best in the sequence.

Sequential Mode.
I must try this it would probably help heaps for fast moving fish. I just did it outside with some insects to test, probably not good for the strobe (getting to hot :wink: ) . My strobe managed to keep up on macro subjects (obviously not a large dump, but what you'd use sequential for anyway) with focus locked and shutter held down - about 2.2 frames a second I think from memory (took 8 sequential frames). Hope that helps.

LukeROB - that sounds promising! You just tried it with the ordinairy sequential mode - not the autofocus?

Dee:
Did you mean keep the shutter pressed?
Yes, shutter release button pressed and held down.

Back
Top Bottom