Sept 20th - San Marcos River Clean up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TxIceDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Come join SI Scuba and Project AWARE for the Annual Cleanup Day

September 20, 2008.
8:00 - 5:00

San Marcos River
San Marcos, Texas

Come on out for a day of fun diving!

The most fun you can have while lending a hand to help save our underwater environment.

Free food, free fun and free gear available for rental at SI Scuba.
(We will have as many tanks available as we can get our hands on)

This activity is sponsored by Project Aware as part of its National Cleanup Day efforts.

Welcome to SI Scuba

Come join SI Scuba and Project AWARE for the Annual Cleanup Day

September 20, 2008.
8:00 - 5:00

San Marcos River
San Marcos, Texas

Come on out for a day of fun diving!

The most fun you can have while lending a hand to help save our underwater environment.

Free food, free fun and free gear available for rental at SI Scuba.
(We will have as many tanks available as we can get our hands on)

This activity is sponsored by Project Aware as part of its National Cleanup Day efforts.

Welcome to SI Scuba

is there anymore info on this....meeting place etc...I haven't heard anything about this..:blinking:

OK, I'm confused....

How is it that the San Marcos trash dive is sponsored by a shop in Arlington? :confused: That's 230 miles away!

I've done the San Marcos trash dive a couple of times over the years. Lately it has been a big disappointment. Is there any hope of turning this around?

Well, I don't know what your past experiences are, but hopefully this one will be a success.

This year SI Scuba, in Arlington, decided to participate in the PADI Project AWARE International clean up day on September 20th. Since we don't really have any local dive sites, and a bunch of us participate in the diving for science program at Aquarena Springs, the San Marcos river is a good place to clean up. We contacted the city of San Marcos and got approval to clean up the river. They said that we can leave the trash bags on the trail next to the river and they would pick things up from there.

The plan is to meet at Rio Vista park from 0800-1700. There will be a raffle for a gear, tickets are $10 with the proceeds going to Project AWARE. (Z-2 regulator, mask fins & snorkels set, logbooks, t-shirts, gift certificates, etc) We are still working with local restaurants to provide lunch.

We might even have some live entertainment. (Ok, that's pushing it, but son is planning on bringing his guitar :) )

We hope to have a large (40-60 people) turnout and make this an annual event.

My first two experiences with the dive were fantastic. 100+ divers, free food, free raffle, free ride back to the Lion's club. There was competition between the different groups. I think the Scubadillos usually cleaned up. It was amazing how much trash we pulled from the river.

Last year I think there were 5-8 of us. There was a biker rally going on at the same time... :depressed:

I'm glad you're getting involved and I hope the event makes a big comeback.

since the LDS dropped out....there has been much of an interest.....for the cleanup that is held in the spring.....and the river is pretty shallow and full of weeds and it makes it hard to navigate:shakehead:

Was a really good (and tiring) time being there with SI Scuba! Met lots of folks from the DFW area and beyond, had a couple of nice, long dives- max depth I hit was about 15 feet, water as clear as glass unless you hit a spot stirred up by folks- even then it was gone in a flash due to the sometimes swift current. Was truly a great day of fellowship and doing a good cause- a game warden came over to us when we were wrapping up and thanked us for all we did....hope some other folks that were there post as well, thanks to SI Scuba and Steve for hosting this! Looking forward to doing it again next year.

Back
Top Bottom