Sensuishi needed in Okinawa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So... I guess by this answer that if you want to take / pass the exam you had better study your kanji character.
Seems like a catch 22 to me. What can you do? Not much I guess.

Follow up:
Here is the respose I received from PADI Japan:

Hello,

Thank you for your email.
I'm not sure what "OKINAWA test" means, but probably it might be a national license called "Sensui-shi".

Regardless of nationality, a diving professional who wish to work in Japan needs to have this license. And especially in OKINAWA, the regulation is applied so strictly that you will be asked for your being qualified as "Sensui-shi" by employer or a police.

For more information on this regulation, please contact The OKINAWA Marine leisure Safety Bureau foundation(OMSB).

support@omsb.jp

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Hi ,

PADI-Japan is coaching it's members same things that you received. Japanese website of a guideline is attached below for your reference.

¡ÖÀø¿å»ÎÌȵö¡×¤Ë¤Ä¤¤¤Æ

No practical exam, a written exam only.
If you do not have the qualification, there is no actual problem as far as I know but Okinawa seems to be a little bit strict with Japanese employers.

Well I think that after I pass my IE I will give the sensuishi a try. My family and I are moving to Okinawa next month so I will see how it goes.

Woohoo!!! The party in Okinawa keeps on getting bigger! Let us know when you get here and we can go do a celebratory dive. Do you mind small surface swims?

Make sure you get a clarification on what a "small, surface swim" is before you agree to that dive- but definately in order - a "Welcome to Okinawa" dive. Although I think you get here when we are all in Yonaguni chasing sharks we will definately catch you on our return.

Sweet I am looking forward to it! I wish I could make the Yonaguni trip this time. I will definately go there this summer with you.

To bring up an old topic, what ever happened in regards to the test?

I have not tried the sensuishi yet, but I passed the IE. Eventually I will try out the sensuishi test. I just have to be in that mood or mind set to tackle the challenge, you know what I mean? When I finally go for it I want to attack it with 100% effort. Right now life is happening and that is taking priority.

Are you thinking about giving it a go?

Yeah, I was told by my local shop that if i passed the sensuishi and got the proper insurance, then there would be quite a few opportunities for me to work as a DM during the summer, so I think I'm going to give it a go. Of course, they didnt bother to mention this very far ahead of time--the local test is in august, giving me a month and a half to try to learn the japanese for words like "underwater welding", and the set of safety precautions that go with it.

There are 3 or 4 books about it (in japanese, of course), that can be gotten from amazon.jp.

I want to give it a go too. I think that I have seen some websites that help. If you're in Okinawa maybe we can study for it together.

Back
Top Bottom