Sensitivity/allergy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TartanFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
On two recent trips to the pool my LDS uses for classes I have experienced an upper torso rash with moderate itching. I have no other symptoms such as joint pain, etc. On both occasions i spent about 65 - 70 minutes in the pool, over 3 dives each trip, at a max depth of 11 feet.

On dive 1 I wore a rash guard and swim shorts. On dive 2 I wore a full 1 mil over my rash guard and shorts. On dive 3 I wore a 3 mil shorty over the other items. I was working on buoyancy and weighting with the different configurations because of an upcoming dive trip that will be in the warm water of the Florida Keys and also in the spring fed water of Crystal River, FL which is much cooler water.

I understand it is impossible to diagnose over the internet but my questions are...

Could this be related to Chlorine sensitivity ?

I am taking an OTC antihistamine and using lotion to moisturize the affected areas. Is this the recommended course of action? Should I make an appointment to see my family doctor or would it be advisable to see a dermatologist?

Thanks!

You might have a sensitivity to chlorine. A good indicator would be if the rash gets better when you're not exposed to pool water. Stay out of the pool for a while and see what happens. If it was the chlorine, it should improve within a few days. If it doesn't get better and/or you experience the rash elsewhere, it's probably not the chlorine. Some OTC antihistamines work better than others. See your family doc for recommendations; he/she may prescribe a topical corticosteroid on top of antihistamines. I'd avoid the lotion.

Hi TartanFrog,

It could be related to chlorine allergy.

Also to neoprene allergy sensitivity. Heres' a piece I wrote on the topic for http://www.undercurrent.org/:

Allergic reactions to neoprene proper are relatively unusual; hypersensitivity to curing/accelerator agents used in neoprene processing and adhesives used in suit assembly is more common. Are you intolerant of latex or other rubber products, medical adhesive tape or the like?

You’ll want to make sure that your reaction is not simply to some other agent, like chlorine. Do you react to chlorine when not wearing thermal protection or a rash guard?

The described distribution of this rash (i.e., only the torso) really does rather suggest that the problem is related to contact with natural or synthetic rubber-like compounds.

If your wetsuit is new, you may wish to hand wash it with baby shampoo or a delicate laundry detergent and then allow it to air well until the next wearing. Also be sure to rinse yourself well after each dive and shower with a gentle soap after the last dive of the day.

Rash guards are often recommended when such rashes appear, but as you found out there's no guarantee this will work, and in my experience mostly they do not.

If you continue to have this problem, testing for neoprene allergy is probably next. This requires a specific patch test, so be sure to tell the allergist/dermatologist about your contact with neoprene and concerns when making the appointment. Since an allergy patch test for neoprene proper and its chemical accelerators typically is not included in the routine testing procedure, the doctor may have to arrange for a more thorough battery and this may require a small piece of your suit.

If it turns out you are allergic, you can look into a wetsuit made without neoprene such as a Thermocline Neoprene Free wetsuit by Fourth Element.

As for treatment, antihistamines, both oral and topical, often are useful in easing the discomfort of a number of contact skin rashes, but you really do need to find an alternative if this rash is going appear every time you put on a wetsuit and dive. This is not to mention that such hypersensitivity reactions can become more severe with repeated exposures to the offending agent.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.
"

Could it also be something in the Rash Guard shirt itself? Because you wore it all the dives as well, and the rash was on your torso. What material is it made of, how was it cleaned? Do you have sensitivities to laundry soap?

Just more to think about. Good luck figuring it out

Thanks for the responses.

As a matter of fact, I do have sensitivity to the adhesives used in medical tapes and such. That is a known issue that I have dealt with for some time.

I have had and worn both the rash guard and full 1 mil for some time. The 3 mil shorty is relatively new and in fact the first times I have worn it are both the times I had the issue. So I guess that may point to a sensitivity to something in the suit or the neoprene itself.

I will do a more thorough job of washing the wetsuit with baby shampoo and then try it again to see if I have the same issue. If not then it was the curing agents or whatever else. If I do then a trip to the allergist is probably in order.

Yes this would really be a problem if every time I dive I have an allergic reaction to something.

Thanks again for the input !!!

As a matter of fact, I do have sensitivity to the adhesives used in medical tapes and such. That is a known issue that I have dealt with for some time.

I have had and worn both the rash guard and full 1 mil for some time. The 3 mil shorty is relatively new and in fact the first times I have worn it are both the times I had the issue.

BINGO.

Thanks for the follow up and I hope you get the matter resolved.

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom