Semi Freeflow at Stoney

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nessy

Registered
Reaction score
Was at Stoney Cove (UK) at weekend, the water was 6degrees celcius (43 F). A minute or two into the first dive I had a semi freeflow, nothing too dramatic but a definite flow which didn't stop. I bailed on the dive but was wondering what you would suggest as solutions underwater for such a situation if any.

I had a second dive, at a tentative 5m depth just to test and they were fine, even with two people breathing off them.

I am wondering whether to have my regs serviced after this problem. I have had them for just under a year, and hadn't used them since last November. Thoughts?

FYI, I was diving using Scubapro S600 MK25AF.
Thanks
Martin

Due a service I would guess.

A few friends were there this weekend without mishaps, diving Apeks but I would have the SP would have been ok at 6deg.

Thanks Hoppy, appreciate your input.

Hoppy:
Due a service I would guess.

A few friends were there this weekend without mishaps, diving Apeks but I would have the SP would have been ok at 6deg.

Are you sure you've got the AF kit on the reg. You can tell by a corrugated looking peice on the first stage. The original Mk25s had an issue. Mine did just as you are describing in Mermet Springs in souhtern Illinois (USA) last year in 68 fett of 41 degree (F) water.

During the dive I simply reverted to what I was taught. Plug the hole with your tongue and sip around the tongue. In actuallity, everytime I plug the hole, the freeflow stopped.

Incidentally, the next day one of our instructors had his Mk25/S600 flow at 100 feet (emptied his tank in a little over a minute).

Once the AF kit was installed, never had the problem again.

Does this still hold true? (About the AF kit controlling the freeze ups) I ordered the MK25/S600 from my LDS. I am a little concerned that I may run into this problem myself.
Larry

hogluvr:
Does this still hold true? (About the AF kit controlling the freeze ups) I ordered the MK25/S600 from my LDS. I am a little concerned that I may run into this problem myself.
Larry

The full AF treatment works ok in moderately cold water. Water colder than the low 40's can still cause problems though unless low pressure tanks and impeccable cold water technique are used.

Piston regs like most ScubaPro's are more prone to first stage freeze-up. I doubt that servicing your reg will help, but it certainly won't hurt.

What I wonder is how familiar you are with diving in cold conditions. If the air on the surface is below freezing a simple thing as breating through your reg above the water can set off a freeflow. You may want to search this forum on "regulator freeze".

As far as stopping a freeflow under water: close the valve for 10-30s (so it can thaw) and then open it again.

hiya all. I'm new to diving so i wander if you could help me with this? What is a free flow, when and where do you get them and what do you do if you do get one? thanks

First of all, looking at the original post, I don't know what a "semi freeflow" is. Free flows are like pregnancies in this regard. Free flows can be broken into two main types, either first stage or second stage related. In esscense, a free flow is when your regulator continuously spews gas out (usually at a rather high rate) when you don't want it to. These are usually caused by a piece of ice forming somewhere in your regulator and then preventing the mechanisms that deliver air from stopping to deliver air (imagine jamming a stick into a tire fill valve on your car). Root cause could be something like: gas flowing thru first stage rapidly (filling BC, for example), venturi effect of expanding gas causes temp. drop, you are on surface in cold water and cold weather and there is moisture in your tank or some present in your first stage, maybe because it doesn't have an enviromental seal. Ice forms, reg sticks open and a free flow ensues. Your options are dependant on your experience and comfort as well as those of your dive buddy and where you are in your dive (on surface, in an over head enviroment, deep). There are devices that mount in line between the end of your second stage low pressure hose and your second stage. These can shut off air to the stage but if there is ice in your first stage then the free flow will relocate itself to your octo. A freeflowing reg can still be breathed from. If you want to practice this, merely hold the purge button in and continue to breath normally from your reg. Please note that a free flow will empty a tank rather quickly so if this happens at depth and all other remedies fail to stop it, you should be heading for the surface. They can also be stopped by having your buddy shut your tank air supply off while you share air, wait a couple of minutes and then turn back on. This method only works if your buddy knows what to do and you are both comfortable-remember that at this point, you won't have an air supply of your own. By remembering that you can still breath thru a free flow you can at least avoid the panic and possible disasters, such as a rapid ascent from depth, that can happen when your regulator unexpectedly free flows. Your best line of defense will be to use a regulator designed for cold water (will have some sort of enviromental seal on the first stage and maybe some type of device to retain some warmth from your breath in the second stage) and then don't breath from the reg until you are in the water and the reg is submerged. This may even mean orally inflating your BC while on the surface.

Nessy:
Was at Stoney Cove (UK) at weekend, the water was 6degrees celcius (43 F). A minute or two into the first dive I had a semi freeflow, nothing too dramatic but a definite flow which didn't stop. I bailed on the dive but was wondering what you would suggest as solutions underwater for such a situation if any.

....snip....

Underwater, if the regulator has an external adjustment then you could close it a bit.

You can also try turning it off for a minute or two while breathing from your buddy's octopus. Whether or not you decide to do this has a lot to do with your own experience/comfort level and that of your buddy. I wouldn't suggest this as a blanket solution but often times a freezing reg will thaw if you turn it off for a short time.

It's a good idea to get it serviced now if you dive in the winter. If not I would probably wait until the season is over unless it acts up again and then get it done before you start next year. Bottom line is trust your instincts about it.

BTW 6C is a little warm for a freeze. I'd suspect gunk. Give it a thorough soaking/washing in warm water (under pressure). If you're comfortable with these things you can take the 2nd stage cover off and carefully clean the insides a little better than soaking will do.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom