Semi-Drysuit Question!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaVP

Reaction score
Normal, IL USA (yes, that is a real city)
I recently purchased a 7/5 mm semi-dry suit. It has a drysuit style zipper across the shoulders in the back. My question is what is the easiest way to get in this thing? Sorry for sounding dumb, but it is tough to get my head in and out without contorting to positions I didn't know I could contort to :)

I hope you're not putting your head in first, that can be a little tough. :wink:
Try jumping into the thing, and then stick your head through, before your arms. Depending on how you're "hinged", it may go easier for you.
Getting a new suit normally comes with a "making friends" period where you 2 get to know each other.
In a few months you should have it trained well enough to where it'll just jump on you if you get within 3 feet of it.
:eek:ut:

Thanks for the quick response! I haven't been getting in head first (although, I can't say that I haven't thought about it), so I guess I am on the right track. My fiance has been a great help so far, and seeing how I got her a semi-dry for Christmas, I will soon be returning the favor!

Once again, thanks, and I will keep at it!

ok,.. now here's a dumb question... i've never heard of a semi dry suit before... what is it??

do you still get wet?? (since it says semi dry... i guess I should assume semi wet too eh)

what kind of temperatures can you dive in??

what's the advantage??

Jeff

You are correct in your assumption, Ari.

A semi-dry wetsuit, is just like any other wetsuit, except for the fact that it has drysuit-like zippers and seals around the neck, wrists, and ankles. I have yet to dive in it, but I would guess that you would stay slightly warmer than a traditional wetsuit. From what I hear, fit is just as important with a semi-dry as it is with a wetsuit (which is somewhat not the case with a drysuit).

The way my instructor explained Semidry to me is that a semidry suit only flushes once as a opposed to constantly with a wetsuit.

BTW ScubaVP, a semi-dry with the zipper acroos the front of the shoulders isn't any easier to get into

Try jumping into the thing, and then stick your head through, before your arms. Depending on how you're "hinged", it may go easier for you.

When I used my back entry Wardell (full 1/4" neoprene) I found it actually easier to get into it, put my arms in THEN my head last. Otherwise how the heck do you get your arms in?

Just wondering. :wink:

~SubMariner~

ScubaVP

You should find that you are a lot warmer than the standard wetsuit - a consequence of the additional thickness and the fact that little water gets in although the latter depends on the quality of the seals and the fit on you. I have a Scubapro Scotia 6.5mm semi-dry and I get no water in at all. I can dive when the water is maybe 40-45 degress and be OK.

Having said that I'm still going to convert to a drysuit at least for UK diving and I'll just keep the semi-dry for waters which are too cool for my 3mm wetsuit.

Regards

I dive a 7mm Bare semi-dry, and I find it easier to get into by wearing my skin suit underneath. Another trick is to put a plastic shopping bag on your hands & feet when you don the suit, slips right through the seals.
Probably not such a good idea to try that with your head, though.:bonk:

Back
Top Bottom