semi dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vf84pc

Reaction score
I was wondering about using a semi-dry suit to dive the great lakes in the summertime most of my dives will be in Erie, Ontario, St. Laurence seaway. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

I have used my Mares down to around 55 degrees for about 45 minutes, wasn't cold. I am also thinking about selling it since I have gone dry.

some options to think about:

1. pinnacle polar
2. pinnacle extreme w/ pinnacle hooded vest (leisure pro has these for $244 now)
3. pinnacle 7mm elastoprene w/ merino and a pinnacle merino hooded vest
4. pinnacle kodiak (expensive)
5. if you are brave, there is a new product called Camaro seemless 7mm
6. o neill j type 7000 is suppos tto be nice

You may be able to find good deals on the Pinnacle Arctic or Polar. Which ever one is the 8/6 semi dry since the Kodiak is probably going to replace it. I ordered the Kodiak since my LDS was willing to sell me on for about $25 more than the Merino Elastiprene 7 since I was the first to order one and would be the test mule for the shop.

I was wondering about using a semi-dry suit to dive the great lakes in the summertime most of my dives will be in Erie, Ontario, St. Laurence seaway. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

You are talking about big temperature differences between the lakes and seaway throughout the year. I have dove Lake Ontario in Aug where the water temp was 42F and where it has been 55F. I have dove the St. Lawrence in Sept. where the water temp has been 75F and where it has been 63F.
You will be fine with a semi dry most of the time. If you do more than one dive a day over a weekend in water colder than 45F, you might lose your core body temp and feel colder as the weekend progresses. Everybody has a different tolerance for cold. Also after a cold dive on a crappy day, there is nothing like stepping out of your drysuit and being nice and dry and warm.
If the water temp is higher than 72F, you might be to warm, but again everyone is different.
I would look into the cost of a semi dry compared to a drysuit, I don't think there is much difference?

Yes I would like to dive with you and show you the ropes. I haven't been trained in wreck diving though. But I know all the rules. Take a wreck diving course. right.

Yes I would like to dive with you and show you the ropes. I haven't been trained in wreck diving though. But I know all the rules. Take a wreck diving course. right.
Tech diving courses are too cheap when you consider the risk of not taking one. That's all I'll say on that.

A semi dry is anywhere from half to a third of the price of a dry suit. Semi dry's run around $500.

I dove there last August and was comfortable in a 7mm farmer john.

My own anecdotal evidence is sketchy at best, but in a 7mm farmer john, I'm usually less pale and chilled at the end of dive 2 (the real test) than my friend was in a semi-dry. 49-53 degrees F, and we're both tall skinny guys. For the price difference, I'd suggest sticking with the farmer john until you can go dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom