Semi-Closed Rebreather Death in Cocos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99:
I wouldn't trust my life to a little pinhole orifice with no gauges to monitor...................

NOR SHOULD ANYONE......EVER!

MANTRA: ALWAYS, ALWAYS KNOW
YOUR PPO2!!

Charlie is very right! A re-breather is like an airplane. Do your pre-flight, watch your gauges while you fly, and do your post-flight. It is very safe if you do. Very dangerous if you don't. :11:

Anyone knows anything about Cozumel Rebreather Week.
I want to try. Please if you have any info share.
Thanks

Tom725:
Excuse my ignorance of rebrathers, how deep could she have gone before she realized her air was not on????
On the Dräger that uses a pre-mixed gas (not air :wink: - nitrox) there is only one gas source supplying the loop. If no gas is added, the loop volume will be reduced during decent in the same way the a BCD's volume is reduced. In the first 10 msw/33 fsw by 50%. The automatic gas addition valve in the Dräger compensates for that, adding gas when a breath is taken and loop volume insufficent. But only when the gas to be added is available. In any way, as an experienced Dolphin diver she should have noted that no gas was added upon descent.

Aside from the failed pre-dive check and lack of monitoring the pO2 during the probably very short dive, she also failed to either open the valve of the loop gas supply or switch to the separate bailout gas supply (in form of a small pony tank and OC regulator) once she realized there is a problem. Either way would have allowed her a safe ascent. While the If in doubt, bail out doesn't say much about the diver's skills, it's at least a safe way to go about, at least when diving RB within recreational limits.

So as is often the case in rebreather incidents and accidents, there were multiple failures/mistakes compounding one another. Richard Pyle wasn't kidding when he said "Complacency Kills!"[/i]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom