Selling images for use in a book - what to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warren_L

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are regarding what needs to be done for selling the use of a few of my images for use in a book.

This is the situation. I've been approached by a publisher of a book about local wrecks. The book was originally published about 25 years ago (I think). Anyhow, they are in the process of updating the book and they saw some of my photos showcased on their maritime association's website.

Anyhow, since they are a commercial venture, I was wondering how one arrives to a fair price for the photos (they want to use 3 of them), and as well, what sort of documents or agreements need to be signed.

One of the shots features a pose of a friend of mine along side the stern of the wreck, which I presume a release must be signed by her.

Is there anything else? Should I make them agree to use the use of the image only for this edition of the book? Am I missing anything important?
progress.gif

The price depends on the uniqueness of the images, the rights your selling, the size of the use and the size of the print run, typical in a case like this would be, "one time, non-exclusive, North American rights, quarter page, no more than 10,000 copies." The actual price is negotiable and I can't advise you without some idea of the quality and uniqueness of the images.

Although it is always a good idea to get a release, if your friend can't be identified from the picture I don't think you actually need one. Fortunately most people are thrilled to be in my images or video, the rest of them I use Photoshop on!

BTW - congratulations on the prospect!

Make sure to ask a fair price to you. It's easy to get caught up in the "I'm published" thing, but your images and time are worth something...as are the next photographers...

Thanks everyone for the great information. I've done TV, magazine, newspaper, and websites, but this is my first publication in a book.

The model release for the diver shouldn't be a problem - she is a friend of mine. It's just a matter of working out what a reasonable price is for the usage of the photos on a single print run. I'm guessing no more than 10,000 copies.

As a matter of completeness, I thought I'd update the situation.

The publisher and I have come to terms and we've solidified a contract. The book is projected to be completed and published by the end of June. So, it's pretty well a done deal. It will be interesting to see how the final product turns out. Thanks everyone for the input - it has been a great learning experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom