Sell or hang onto my Nikon....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've got an U/W Nikon system that I've had for years. But I'm getting old and considering selling my system, and going back to a small POS piece-of-s#%t, I mean point-and-shoot camera.

What's the market like for a full size dSLR?

Should I just keep it, or is there a good market for this stuff?

Nikon d300S
Tokina10-15mm wide angle
Nikkor 60mm lens
Nikkor 105mm lens
Nauticam housing
Lens ports for all the above lenses
Viewfinder for the Nauticam housing
Inon Z-240 strobes
Fiber-optic cables
Strobe arms with flotation
Large Pelican storage case
Small hard carry-on suitcase

full.jpg

I sell my older gear on EBay. I start at 50% of retail and subtract based on age and condition. Your ports, lenses, and strobes can be used with most newer rigs. I include some of my best photos taken with the camera in my listing.

Harry, I've been a Nikon guy since the early/mid 1970s using my father's Nikkormat and then F2's as a young teen.
My brother, a visual sociologist, still uses his D300, though mostly for family shots. Obviously, it doesn't hold up to today's 40 or 50 megapixel cameras. I was surprised to see a used D300 listed on B and H Photo currently for 599.00. I would have thought it less than that.
I've given away and/or sold some older cameras and housings to younger guys recently out of the military or to friends. I know I won't get anything close to what I paid for them, so I at least try to help someone else with gear that works fine but I want or need to update due to shooting professionally. Your lenses and strobes should sell for a better price. You can also resell older equipment to places like B and H. I've done that too.
Or you can just keep using your equipment like my brother's doing.

I can't offer you a lot of info other than you might start by advertising as a package with everything someone would need to start underwater photography. Otherwise people will just want pieces.

Not sure about Nikon but Canon has started pushing everything to mirror less camera along with lenses specifically for those cameras. After many years of only incremental changes, they are hoping this is a catalyst for people to turn over their whole system rather than just getting a new body and keeping the lenses. This won't change people overnite but the process will inexorably creep along.

The D300 and housing have lost most of their value.

Absolutely everything else on your list is perfectly viable for a modern system and worth a high resale value.

You could either keep shooting this system as is or look into a smaller DSLR like the Nikon Z6.

Very nice
I see those things with the huge dome on the front coming towards me, my reflection, is it an alien spaceship
I feel like I'm in
I would certainly crash driving those cameras

How much for all that wow gear, I would keep it

I'm still using a D300 in a Sea&Sea housing, still works for me.

I use a nikon d60 in aquatica housing. Still very happy and see no reason to upgrade as i am not trying to publish work in magazines. I use the nikon 16-85mm lens so i have only one port and extension which makes travel easy. Mild wide angle to 1:2 macro just by using zoom. Looks like you have a small dome already. The lens you have are easily sold for good money and the ports. My system i am so familiar with i move controls by instinct. Red Sea - reefscenics

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom