Self help kit for diver ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveBandit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I dive with my two boys 13 and 15. My biggest worry is a "open Water" type incident, or worse yet, one gets swept away by current. I am thinking of buying 3 handheld radios and 3 hand held GPS units, putting them in small dryboxes strong enough to withstand presure at depth, yet small enough to be strapped to our tanks then strapping the radio box on one side of the tank, and the GPS unit box to the other side of the tank. This way if one or more of us gets seperated or lost you need only surface, fire up the GPS unit and call for help on the radio. I'm thinking you could also put small survival items like orange dye, or a few granolla bars in the same boxes. I'm guessing the whole thing would cost around $400.00 max per diver, but like a bullet proof vest, when you need it, you're glad you spent the money.

Anybody have any thought good or bad on this. One concern would be the added bouancy from the boxes. Another might be the radio range at sea level.

The range of the radios is determined by line of site so in an open water environment the wave troughs will limit the distance. As far as finding boxes to hold the radios and GPS I'm not too sure of what you will find, but if you do find something please post a link. Flares may be a better idea.
Andrew

It seems like a poor solution to an unlikely problem. Still, if you want the security of knowing your boys can summon help if they get swept away, and are willing to spend several hundred dollars a piece on gear they'll most likely never use, there is IMHO a better way to do it. Forget the gps/radio/drybox idea, and look into getting them EPIRBs.

That said, I think you'd be better off getting them more training. In the long run, I think that's going to have a much better payoff both in terms of their safety and their enjoyment of the sport. I think buying them electronic distress signals for recreational diving makes about as much sense as making them wear crash helmets in the family car. It will definately make them safer, but it seems like overkill.

I looked into EPIRB's, if you can find one with a depth rating of 70 feet let me know. Most are rated for 30 feet or less (and those are the high end ones). Training, were enrolled in PADI rescue diver class now, and are going all the way to master diver (the boys) and Divemaster (me).

I kind of figured its a very unlikely cenario, maybe I'll just feel better knowing they will have a chance if it ever happens. I can't help but think that "Probably" every diver ever lost or swept out by current (who's situation was terminal) could have survived and been rescued had they had a radio and GPS, or EPIRB

I'm actually surprised no company has tried to come up with an EPIRB or radio/GPS solution for divers. ?

N@rco$i$:
I'm actually surprised no company has tried to come up with an EPIRB or radio/GPS solution for divers. ?
Well, you could always put a less expensive one in an Otter box, like you would have with the radio and gps. Alternatively, I think some of the new VHF marine radios have ID/positioning built in. Maybe there's a small handheld that would work?

Glad to hear you'll all be well trained in any case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom