Selection of First Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forgiv me if my trying is horrible, im almost snow blind for the moment. I really hate this place.
Propnut, the only white Christmas I ever spent was in Bagram in 2002. I hear you. We got snowed in for four days waiting on our ride out of there. Be safe and come home quick.

Bag wasnt so bad, cold, but plenty to do. I got stuck in Salerno, just 40 miles from here on my way in last month from leave. Warm and dry. When I got off the chopper in Gardez I was in the arctic. LOL

If you are looking for a watch style computer the sunto D4 is an excellent choice and many DM's I have worked with love theirs. I personally use a D6 and would buy one again tomorrow and there are some really good deals to be had on ebay.

I am probably going to be a bit out of the mainstream in my advice.

If you are thinking of going tech in the future, then you are looking at a temporary device. Do not buy a computer with the intention of using it for tech diving. One reason is that it is very possible that you will train with an agency or individual instructor who does not use one, and you could end up having spent a lot of money for what will be essentially a simple bottom timer. A second reason is that if you do use a computer for tech, but the time you get to that point in your training, a whole new generation of computers will be out there, and anything you buy now will be obsolete.

So what should you look for in a computer?

One thing people will push on you is the ability to switch gases. You probably don't have any idea why yo would want to use multiple gases during a dive right now, but that is needed for introductory level tech diving and for some cave diving. that means, again, you won't need it for a long time. If you do go into tech, you will eventually want to switch to a gas mix that includes helium, and you will find that many of the multi-gas computers do not use helium. So ask yourself when you would ever use a multi-gas function before deciding you want that.

The next issue is whether or not to have an air-integrated computer. That is a legitimate question, and I will only suggest that you weigh the pros and cons carefully for that.

I think pretty much all computers do nitrox now, so you don't have to think about that.

One feature I do recommend if you think you may want to go into tech is the ability go into what is called gauge mode. If your computer has that ability, you will be able to use it effectively with decompression dives without having to worry about it saying you are bent all the time. Not all basic computers can do this.

A suggestion has been made about being able to use a heart rate monitor feature on some computers. I have no idea why anyone would need that. Heart rate has no established effect on decompression rates, so any attempt to tie it into the computer algorithm is speculative at best, and I am told that in the computers that do it, the differences are pretty minimal.

These are the same thoughts I have. If I were to purchase another computer right now it would be the Hollis DG01, very easy to use and excellent customer support, it can be had for $225 at ScubaToys and has gauge mode so it will last you no mater what level diving you go to. I would not purchase a Galileo, Beaver divers did not give you all the info on the tri mix upgrade. It is still in BATA form and they have aroung 1/3 to 1/2 the test hours they need, you still have to plan your dive with other software and just monitor the computer per ScubaPro. ScubaPro has been saying the tri mix upgrade is going to be coming out in the spring for about three years now so I would not purchase one of there computer on empty promises. The hart rate monitor is a gimmick and that is it, I know about six divers that have it and not one has used it yet.

I bought a three gauge setup from Leisurepro based off of recommendations on here. It has a Aladdin TEC 2G, FS-1 compass and spg in it. I bought wrist mounts and bungee from DSS. I will seperate all three and put the computer and compass on my wrist. I am using the spg and hose for now until I buy a nicer gauge if I want. The console was only $250 and for a total of $30 I got both wrist mounts and 6 feet of bungee. It was an awesome deal to me.

I bought a three gauge setup from Leisurepro based off of recommendations on here. It has a Aladdin TEC 2G, FS-1 compass and spg in it. I bought wrist mounts and bungee from DSS. I will seperate all three and put the computer and compass on my wrist. I am using the spg and hose for now until I buy a nicer gauge if I want. The console was only $250 and for a total of $30 I got both wrist mounts and 6 feet of bungee. It was an awesome deal to me.

Wow that is a great deal. Just add a IRDA dongle from Amazon for under $10 and you are all set to go.

If you are going tech be prepared to spend $$$. I would probably buy a Liquid Vision if I could. It handles multiple gas mixes and plugs right into Vplanner. I wish, I wish...

Back
Top Bottom