Selection of First Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

propnut30

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey folks. I'm stuck over here in Afghanistan and have been entertaining myself by stockin my toy box back home. Now that my tanks, BC and Regs are taken care of, I am thinking about a computer. I'm still cutting my teeth here and looking at all of the computers available have me feeling like a China-man at a French Buffet. I have no clue what computer will suit me best.

I guess I should state what my ablilites are and where I plan to go from here for starters. Right now I have only my Open water cert. When I get home Ill pick up my Stress and rescue, and advanced open water than get into night and visibility. Eventually I want to work into tech and penetrations.

I dont need the best money can buy but some basic needs the ability to grow without having to buy a more advanced puter.

SOme of the things I would like to get from the puter is

Visability (easy to read in Light, Dark and Murk)
Durability
Ease of use.

I do Like what I see in the UATEC Galileo Luna, The Umis Zuric, Mares Matrix, and the Oceanic OCS.

Im not sure about the Umis, My instructor uses it but I have herd that they went bankrupt Its also pretty pricey but for life support and what it does I think the price is reasonable.

I like the watch style computers but im not sure how easy they would be to read in all lighting and visibility conditions.

What are the suggestions of the village elders here? I have learned long ago the ones that have been there and done that have the advice to heed.

Thanks in advance
Brian

Honestly? Pay for the best you can afford. You'll never regret it.

If necessary, buy used to get more computer for the buck. eBay is good.
Go here: Dive Computer Training They don't have all of them (Xeo is missing, for example), but will give you an idea.

Then read the manual of some of the ones in which you are interested.

Last, when you come home, go find shops that carry your final choices. Leave your money and credit card at home! That will help you not buy on cool factors.

After all that, you will know what you want.

I love Uwatecs. I am concerned about long-term stability / availability of ScubaPro, but Uwatec rocks! Xeo looks pretty cool, too.

Hold off on trimix comuters. By the time you need one, there will be a whole new batch out.

.......I do Like what I see in the UATEC Galileo Luna, The Umis Zuric, Mares Matrix, and the Oceanic OCS. .....
I would NOT recommend the Uemis Zurich.
Uemis is bankrupt.
You might find some of their computers on the cheap ...... because people are trying to get rid off of them ... but down the road you might have problems in servicing it.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

SOme of the things I would like to get from the puter is

Visability (easy to read in Light, Dark and Murk)
Durability
Ease of use.

I do Like what I see in the UATEC Galileo Luna
The Luna is easy to read, durable and easy to use.

Also, you can upgrade it with the Heart Rate monitor ( HRM )and Predictive Multi-Gas (PMG), so you can use up to three tanks and transmitters.

You may want to go with the Galileo Sol ( comes with HRM & PMG ) if you are going Tek. Then when you are Tri mix certified you can get the Tri mix upgrade for free.

.......Go here: Dive Computer Training They don't have all of them (Xeo is missing, for example), but will give you an idea........
The Xeo is missing because Liquivision never sent us a sample :(

We do NOT charge manufacturers to add their products to our Dive Computers Research Tool, but at least we want to see - and play - with their products first.
As of today we have 111 model-specific dive computers in it .... and more are coming :shocked2:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

The Xeo is missing because Liquivision never sent us a sample :(

We do NOT charge manufacturers to add their products to our Dive Computers Research Tool, but at least we want to see - and play - with their products first.
As of today we have 111 model-specific dive computers in it .... and more are coming :shocked2:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Thanks, Alberto! :thumb:

I wondered about that.

First of all - thanks for what you do!

Hey folks. I'm stuck over here in Afghanistan ..............

These are contradictory statements :D

I dont need the best money can buy but some basic needs the ability to grow without having to buy a more advanced puter.

If you are thinking of the Luna, just go with the Sol ......

I do Like what I see in the UATEC Galileo Luna, The Umis Zuric, Mares Matrix, and the Oceanic OCS.

I have a Sol, but for readability - the Atomic Colbalt can't be beat! I consistantly have had DM's / Buddies tell me that they can read my info from 10ft away (if the vis is right, of course). If the Vis is bad, you will appreciate the Colbalts OLED screen even more! I also recommend a air integrated computer so that you get the most bang for your buck!

I like the watch style computers but im not sure how easy they would be to read in all lighting and visibility conditions.

I have a CompuMask HUD that is pretty impressive even if you need glasses to read.

My first and only dive computer was a Cochran Gemini with air integration. It may be expensive but it is amazing!!!! I would never dive without it

Back
Top Bottom