Sehr Tief man!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dadvocate

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, here is the second situation that I referred to in my other post (Night Dives Dos and Don’ts).

After leaving Dumaguete, our diving crew headed out to Cebu for some no dive fun and then shot down to Moalboal to experience the famous Pescador Island wall dives. On the first trip out to the island, our group joined a German couple who apparently had logged many dives in the Philippines, particularly at Pescador Island, their favorite spot.

During the first dive briefing on the boat, the DM told us we would enter in 5-6 meters of water, swim to the wall ledge and then head down to a max depth of 30 meters. He told us to be careful of our buoyancy going over the wall because the drop off went to nearly 50-60 meters average, with 70 meters depth at some points along the wall.

Anyway, this is what we all did except for the German couple. I remember hitting 28 meters and getting myself neutrally buoyant. Soon thereafter the two of them dropped right passed me and went down to what had to be 50-55 meters.

Please note that they were on one tank of air just like us, so I assume they had between 200-220 bar going in. After a few minutes I didn’t see them at all (the visibility was somewhat dodgy). When we reached the 3 minute stop at 5 meters some 50 minutes later I looked for them but saw nothing. Shortly after we surfaced, they joined us and all was well.

Later on we did more dives with them, and I can safely say these are two divers with quite a bit of experience. They didn’t go as deep as the first dive later in the day, and they hung out with us at 15 meters for the third and last dive of the day.

This process continued for two days of diving at the island.

Later they joined us in conversation one night when we were finishing dinner. I asked about their depth limits and they told me that they often go down to 55-65 meters at Pescador on the first dive of the day to see sharks swimming in colder water. They hang out there between 5-7 minutes and then do 3-4 safety stops before surfacing depending on how deep they have gone.

I’m the first guy to admit that I don’t know enough about diving to say whether or not this practice is safe, though my gut says it is not. They had computers and I can confirm that they did safety stops at various points between 20 and 5 meters on subsequent dives. My instinct tells me this is pushing it in a big way nonetheless. My dive chart does as well. It maxes out at 42 meters at 7 minutes no deco time. My Suunto Gecko computer will only allow me to plan for a 45 meter dive at 5 minutes no deco time.

Of course this could all be my lack of experience and the safety stops for 42 meters could be the same as they are for 65 meters and deeper, though I have a hard time wrapping my brain around that notion.

Am I being too conservative in thinking these kinds of depths under these conditions ought to be accompanied with more air and more contingencies?

Aren’t these depths more in line with tech diving limits and better training, replete with extra tanks of some sort?

I’d love to read what others with more experience have to say. If I am off the mark with these thoughts, I’d love to learn how.

Cheers!

Am I being too conservative in thinking these kinds of depths under these conditions ought to be accompanied with more air and more contingencies?

No.

There is nothing magical or horrifically dangerous about going to non-recreational depths and doing the decompression you obligate yourself to, so long as you are properly equipped and trained. But there is no way that either of those divers had enough gas in a single tank to get BOTH of them back to the surface, making their now OBLIGATORY stops, if they had to share air from the bottom. (See Lamont's rock bottom essay.)

Unfortunately, a lot of people do dives where, if everything goes just fine, they'll come out in good shape. What they don't think about is what happens if everything DOESN'T go fine. The "out of air" is only the worst thing that could happen -- What if one of them lost a mask at depth? Can they carry out an ascent and stops while one is assisting the other?

Planning gas supplies is a big part of technical training, as is learning to solve all your problems underwater. So you're right -- These guys needed different equipment, different planning, and probably training they haven't had, to do the dives they were doing safely.

TSandM:
No.

Planning gas supplies is a big part of technical training, as is learning to solve all your problems underwater. So you're right -- These guys needed different equipment, different planning, and probably training they haven't had, to do the dives they were doing safely.

My Bold

What about nacosis? Would they be able to solve ANY problem at that depth? This is Trimix zone IMHO.

So fumbling around for your mask and running out of air at the same time not appealing to me....

Totally agree with you, DD, although there are still a lot of people who'll do 150 on air.

You know, I hadn't even thought of mask issues or narcosis when I posted this. Of course those possibilities would have to be a consideration. I have no idea the effects of narcosis at 60 meters or what fear a lost mask might initiate at that depth, but I imagine that this would be far less than “ideal.”

My girlfriend wanted me to point out also that this German couple had two sons that they brought along with them on this Pinoy holiday. Their eldest boy accompanied us topside on more than one of these dives and was there on the first dive I spoke of in the OP. Their youngest was left with a “yaya.” This older boy would wait for his parents at the bow of the boat. A couple of times we chatted with him a bit until his parents came up. I can't help thinking of the horror he would have undergone if something took place that shouldn't have. And as a teacher I have to wonder what lessons these two are teaching their sons about diving and personal responsibility by engaging in risky practices of this sort. What would these boys be left to do if they both died down there?

This might well be an interpretation on my part, but I got the sense that there was an undercurrent of pride that night the man spoke about the depths the two of them go to and at the amazement that this proclamation spawned in the rest of us sitting at the dinner table. That might be unfair because I can’t really say for sure, but it is the feeling I got when I spoke to him that night. At the very least, they didn’t seem too concerned when we brought up decompression limits and such. Honestly we weren’t very forceful, perhaps not wanting to be rude if that makes much sense. And let’s face it; I don’t feel (or didn’t at that time) that I know enough to question other divers who ostensibly have more experience than I do.

Cheers for the feedback.

In Europe many people still dive deep on one tank of air. In the French Mediterranean, people have been using a 15 liter (95 cu. ft.) tank to just the kinds of depths described in the original post. There have been accidents over the years, but not as many as people would think. I think that more training is good, but you have to accept that people have been diving like this for years and will likely continue. Even though someone may be tech certified, having a bunch of mixed gas tanks strapped around you at 65 meters can be a challenge as welln even though I know that tech training teaches people how to task-load, etc... There are no more accidents among experienced divers who dive deep on air than there are with technical divers who use all the bells and whistles of the new technology (including rebreathers). Maybe your two German friends would hate diving with 3 tanks strapped on them and having to figure out which one to breathe out of at which depth. In all their years of dealing with narcosis they probably know how their bodies respond. It sounds like they knew what they were doing, so I would not judge and the tone of your post was very non-judgmental, which is nice to see once in a while... Of course if something goes wrong, there aren't too many alternatives for these guys, as was rightly pointed out in your post and others'.

Did they comment on how many more sharks were down there and of what variety?

Well, if they want to go that deep on a single tank of air, thats their decision to make and live with.
Personally, if I was to do any diving with "above average risk" I wouldnt want to have children around, my own or others, due to the fact that IF something where to go wrong, they would be there to experience it..

Another issue id start worrying about at that depth is oxtox.. When does that begin to become an issue again? I actually seem to recall 50 meters?

If you take PPO² 1.6 as reference then your max depth for EANx 21 (air) is 66 meters or 200 feet.

Davocate... thank you for posting this in a non biased way. This is interesting stuff.

Plongeursousmarine is correct that in Europe there are slightly different traditions regarding depth and and deco/no deco. This is apparent in your view on your tables and divecomputer.

In cmas certification old 3 * divers (equivalent to padi rescue divers) are depthlimited to 57m (almost 200 feet). 4* divers (divemasters) and instructors depthlimited to 90m (270 feet). You do not need to have extended range/normoxic/trimix certification to do such dives. (that being wise is another point... but it isn't prohibited).

Next to that we are taught from the beginning to calculate deco dives. We use slightly altered versions of the US Navy 93 tables which calculates decodives up to 10 minutes at 90 meters (270 feet). And during exams we need to calculate square deco dives (even succesive deco dives), rockbottom time, SAC rate, turntime, etc.

So deco-dives isn't necessarily a big NO GO. Doing them depends on your dive plan, depth, sac, airvolume, contingencies, etc. All dives are in a sense deco-dives.

However going on your statement for this couple I would say that it isn't the safest plan to dive. (below calculations are in metric since unfortunately I'm rather inept in imperial metric conversions)

15 liter tank filled to 200 bar = 3000 bar/liter
Average sac rate per minute = 20 bar/liter a minute at atmospheric pressure (1bar).
Dive to 55 meter 7 min bottom time= deco-obligation of 1 min at 6 meter and 3 min at 3 meter.

For 1 person this square dive would mean:

Decend to 55 meter, let's take 20 meter / minute = 3 minutes (take absolute pressure of 55 meter = 6.5 bar * 20 liter = 130 liter a minute) = 390 liters

Bottom time of 7 min at 55 meter = 7 min * 130 liters = 910 liters

Ascend time = 5,5 minutes (10 meter / minute) :
30 secs @ 6.5 bar (ascend from 55 to 50 meters) = 70 liters
1 min @ 6 bar (ascend from 50 to 40 meters) = 120 liters
1 min @ 5 bar (ascend from 40 to 30 meters) = 100 liters
1 min @ 4 bar (ascend from 30 to 20 meters = 80 liters
1 min @ 3 bar (ascend from 20 to 10 meters) = 60 liters
1 min @ 2 bar (ascend from 10 to surface deco stop calculation is separate)= 40 liters

Deco stop time = 1 min at 6 m (1.6 bar)= 32 liters
Deco stop time = 3 min at 3 m (1.3 bar)= 78 liters

All fine and dandy for 1 person nothing going wrong = 1880 liters air used out of his 3000 liters available (76 bar left in 15 liter tank at surface).

The same goes for diving to 65 meters... which gives 2 decostops (2 min at 6 meters and 5 min at 3 meters) all in all you would consume 2459 liters (36 bar left in 15 liter tank at surface).

Just increasing your depth by 10 meters from 55 to 65 m would increase your divetime for the above profile with only 4 minutes but would increase your airconsumption with 20 % of total.

Just to show you that the margin gets much thinner the deeper you go. The above is also a simple calculation for everything going ok. Even the slightest mishap... could have grave consequences at this depth... overstaying your bottom time by a mere 3 min at 65 m means that your deco-obligation increases from 7 min to 22 min. (2 min at 9 m, 5 min at 6 m, 16 min at 3 m). This could easily happen with increased nitrogen narcosis. We are not even talking about emergency situations (OOA situations) were you would have absolutely not enough air to finish all deco obligations. (rule of 3rds).

Next to that these calculations are made with us navy 93 tables. These tables have been calculated for fit young men, and even then these are calculated at a risk of 1 dive every 200 dives giving DCS. (acceptable risks for the us navy). Also dive-table models are not set in stone. There have been significant improvements in this regard the last decenia but still these models are all theories.

So even tho deco dives in it selve should not be the dangerous beast that everyone makes of it... it surely is not something to attempt without propper planning, and sufficient experience and necessary equipment (which I don't have by the way... but it was a nice chance to practise calculating the plan again :-D)

In short I could just delete all of the above and say. TSandM is right...

Thanks for that great post, Beester! It is good to get the calculations from a different frame of reference. I appreciate the feedback very much. This thread has convinced me that I am just not ready for these deeper dives yet. And honestly, I am not terribly swayed by the idea that Europeans have (ostensibily) a longer tradition with such deco dives. Where I will always respect experience, I am also wary of using that experience to widdle away at diving conventional wisdom. As you say, the Navy has a higher tolerance for casualities than I do.

I need to get back in thw water soon. For now though the golf bug has taken over for a spell. :)

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom