Seeley Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divecedral

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to be at Paws Up in Montana for a week attending a business meeting. Is it worthwhile to haul my gear from Dallas to dive Seeley Lake a few times? If so, does anyone know the temps., have any recommendations on a launching point and a place to rent tanks? The closest dive shop appears to be Gull RV in Missoula. The folks at the resort are being helpful, but they have never had a request to dive the lake.

My dad lives in Seeley Lake. Mud/muck bottom, shallow out a ways. This is not a gravel bottom deep water lake, it's only 125 feet deep, which is plenty, but it doesn't settle like Flathead. If you want to dive Montana, find a nice mountain lake or dive Flathead.

Thanks for the info. Today, the activities coordinator at the resort said he thinks a train wreck is somewhere in the lake. What do you think?

There is a train in Flathead, Clive Cussler made up a story about it. I wouldn't guess a track went through the Seeley/Swan, but I could be wrong. There is certainly railroad land up there, but I think it is to benefit the school system. I will ask Dad, but I just can't think of any railroad beds up there.

I'm in Bozeman - about 3.5 hours from where you're going to be. While I have never dove Seeley Lake a lot of local folks like it. I think that's mostly because you can spearfish for pike there. Not much of a spearo myself so I have never been.

Flathead is your best bet. It's about 3 hours from you. I'd dive with you at Canyon Ferry if you want. It's about 3 hours from you as well. It won't be the most spectacular diving you've seen, however.

Ping me if you want more info or if you want to get together.

Hunter

I appreciate the information and offer. Unfortunately, I won't be able to carve out enough time from my meetings to make the drive to Flathead or Canyon Ferry. I'll keep them in mind, though, for my next trip up to your neck of the woods.

HI!
You may want to contact the local dive club up there as well. They may have more information about Seeley Lake. Mountain Dive Sharks
Also, we have a new site that is compiling a list of Montana Dive Sites as well as community boards for finding a dive buddy that may come in handy. (see my signature)
I hope you get a chance to make it up to Flathead sometime! That is some great diving!
Deanne

Thanks for the contacts. I'm spend a lot of time in the muddy lakes around Dallas. I'm always up for a new environment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom