Seeking Information on how to be employed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Piro

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Im currently 19, and have OW, Nitrox, AOW, and a Rescue class on the way. I am looking for any information on how to get employed by a dive operator in the Caribbean. I also would like to know who the best or most reputable agency is for Instructor, since i know all dive shops require that, or most i have come across do. I dont want the cheapest or easiest necessarily, but the one who is going to prepare the best they can.

Next question would be what is better. A live aboard boat, a cruise ship, or a dive operation on location?

Any and all information would be good.

Im looking to do my Rescue, Dive master, master diver, and Instructor along side my classes at University.

Any input on anything would be good, PM or respond here.

Regards,

Piro

Im currently 19, and have OW, Nitrox, AOW, and a Rescue class on the way. I am looking for any information on how to get employed by a dive operator in the Caribbean. I also would like to know who the best or most reputable agency is for Instructor, since i know all dive shops require that, or most i have come across do. I dont want the cheapest or easiest necessarily, but the one who is going to prepare the best they can.

Next question would be what is better. A live aboard boat, a cruise ship, or a dive operation on location?

Any and all information would be good.

Im looking to do my Rescue, Dive master, master diver, and Instructor along side my classes at University.

Any input on anything would be good, PM or respond here.

Regards,

Piro
Okay, a few questions. Why do you want to do this? Are you in love with diving and want a place to dive and get paid? Or are you in love with diving and want to teach others how to do it? That makes a difference in what is your best course.

Liveaboards are hard work but a great training ground for the dive industry. Most want a minimum of Divemaster, the higher your training the better though. Some boats only want instructors. Good people skills are a must also. Some people go on liveaboards and expect to snap their fingers and have someone come running (not what liveaboards are about but some people still expect it). Some liveaboards expect the DMs to not only lead dives but also help with boat maintenance, washing dishes, filling tanks, chatting with dive guests, bubble watch, etc. In other words, working on a liveaboard is multi-tasking 24/7with a smile.
Land-based dive ops are going to want you to do all tasks also but there will be a more set work schedule. In many cases, you won't get to dive at all unless you are an instructor.

If you are really interested, I would contact a few dive liveaboards and ask them some questions. Since you are in GA, it would be easy for you to visit some of the boats, actually go on a liveaboard trip, and talk to the crew. Start here: Bahamas scuba diving liveaboard Blackbeard's Cruises
Nekton Diving Cruises - Comfort, Stability, Worldclass Diving
Explorer Ventures: Adventures in Live-Aboard Diving
these are probably good entry areas for you.
The higher end liveaboards like Peter Hughes and Aggressor have crews that are much more experienced and have done other liveaboards first.
Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom