Seeking Info on Alexandria Wrecks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"The" Hospital. :wink:

It's easy to find. its a big building. Sign on the front says hospital. The River is behind it.
If you have any last minute questions there is a dive shop on the corner too!

BTW I haven't done the dive (it's planned for this year) but I have been in the neighborhood.

Originally posted by Scuba446
Hi,
Where do the coordinates appear on your web site - or do they?
No I don't have them on the web site. Reason is that the mooring are put up and maintained byPOW and they are a nonprofit org. and I ask for a donation to help out with this work in return for GPS coordinates.

A-bay dives.

Shore dive at The Hospital.

Three things you can do there.

1. Dive the wreck. This is the Islander (not the Wolf Islander). This use to be a paddle wheel boat. It sits directly off shore - parallel with shore in 23 - 40 foot of water. Access is directly from shore. There is a small parking lot by the entry point. Probably holds 10 cars max...arrive early.

2. Dive the anchors. Access point is the same - take a right. Stay down. You will be going across a boat access channel. Follow the 'wall' to avoid the mild current. You will see a anchor chain heading down from the above building. Follow it. Swim over it and you will see a circle of chairs. Usually this is the turn point.

3. Dive the wall. Access point is the same - take a left. Follow the wall out to depth. Careful, I drifted into the channel - that's a no-no. You can swing through the channel between the island, swing back around the end catch the cable running out to the island and swing back in to closer shore.

The "shop" as someone mentioned is closed now. Moe and Chris Hunt only does airfills in the basement now. And his hours are pretty much weekend only.

Warning - carry/float a dive flag. Does not have to be international flag. There is heavy personal craft on surface during summer.

Critters: Carp, Eel, Bass, Pike, Perch, Crayfish.

Temp and Viz: July in the 70's with 40+ ft viz.

Safe diving
Ivanna

Other sites outside of A-Bay. . . . Cape Vincent - US side.

Tavi,
This is ALL the books I can find by him on:

http://www.execpc.com/~bbaillod/books/booktable.html

100 Best Great Lakes Shipwrecks - Vol. 1 Chris Kohl
100 Best Great Lakes Shipwrecks - Vol. 2 Chris Kohl
Dive Ontario! Chris Kohl
Dive Ontario Two! Chris Kohl
Kingston's Shipwrecks

Is it one of THOSE?

???????/

Try here http://www.seawolfcommunications.com/great_lakes_diving_guide.htm

I also have a copy of "The 100 Best Great Lakes Shipwrecks" Volume I

Both are great books!! This is where I start to get info for my "want to dive list" I also have an Instructor freind who is eager to do some of them with me. Starting training soon. Still need regs for doubles though and some other things.

Anyone who would like to help can send donations to:
Tavi'sequipmentandtrainingfund@needmorecash.com :wink:

Great! So should we send $$20's, $50 or $100's or do you accept PayPay?

Hahahaha....

I like that - gee, a guy who dives DIR who has a sense of humor? Sweet!

But I probably wouldn't appreciate it as much as I would if I worked for it.

Originally posted by Scuba446

I like that - gee, a guy who dives DIR who has a sense of humor? Sweet!

I'm not DIR! but I am working towards it! :wink:

Your NOT DIR?

My, my....

Tsk, tsk, tsk...

and I'm pretty sure you're not either. Not yet,anyway. :wink:

taken from another thread, posted by Scuba446:
"In some ways, maybe OMS HAS something there with the bungee's to VENT the air OUT more easily?"

A DIR Diver wouldn't even think this!! tsk, tsk

tsk, tsk

:wink: :D

Hahaha,
You sure dot your 'T-'s!

Well, I have a BP wings and most of my rig IS DIR compliant - but, like many, I'm not yet in full agreement with all their religion.

For one, I just can't past the idea that a 30 cu in pony might just save my butt one day, when a dive buddy (or casual dive buddy) might decide to jet to the surface, get separated or decide to do his own thing on a dive. Yea, gear failure's are sure uncommon these days, but ...Hey, you never know!

Even on my checkouts I have seen fellow divers get separated that didn't mean to.

DIR doesn't support that - but then, most of these guys dive twins with TWO 1st stages OR an H-valve.

OK, guess I could go for an H-valve instead of a 30 cu in pony, and another 1st and 2nd stage....hmmm..

Back
Top Bottom