Seeking info about Jan. 9 Cozumel diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am wondering if anyone has information about what happened to a diver who had a serious accident or health emergency while diving at Paso de Cedral reef the morning of Saturday, January 9 at approximately 10 a.m. The diver was a male who appeared to be in his 60s or 70s, American. He and his wife were diving with Scuba Club Cozumel, and their boat was the Reef Diver. About 18 minutes into the dive, the man surfaced and was pulled, unresponsive, from the water onto another dive boat (not from Scuba Club). I was on the Reef Diver, and I witnessed the crew from the other boat (whose name I do not know) administering CPR and oxygen. His wife was with him, and she was very anguished. After approximately 10 minutes, the man, still unresponsive, was transported by the other dive boat to shore. We were told he was met by an ambulance and transported to a hospital. While the incident was happening, the divers from the other dive boat were picked up by the Reef Diver, along with the remaining divers from Scuba Club Cozumel. The boat that had transferred the man to shore returned about 20 minutes later, and the divers all returned back to their boat. It was never clear what exactly happened, and I would like to know how or where the accident might have been reported.

Back
Top Bottom