Seeking Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

S

shaun spies

Hello one and all.

In my previous post, I requested help on selecting a camera setup to start underwater photography. Correctly it was pointed out that the topic is just to diverse, and frequently answered to the dismay of most due to repetition.

To prevent this in future, it may be a good Idea to have a page dedicated to this, listing all the past posts that held the best advice. Would this be possible?

Having said that, what I have learned from reading through your archive of past information, is that camera's and camera equipment depends on the user, and what he/she wants to do with their equipment.

However, surely there should be certain criteria that should be considered critical, especially for someone like myself that has no know how on photography, let alone digital technology.

Here goes a list as I have picked up till now, if there is anything else to ad, please do.

- Housing type and why ( Ex. Ike-lite vs. ? )
- Short shutter lag
- High speed memory
- macro capability
- Why use external strobe
- Strobe preference and why
- Best size CF memory card
- Difference between memory cards, and where to use them

Added to this, I am in a quandary as to whether I should use a standard digital camera, or pay the money and get a DSLR. As I see it, when using a DSLR I would be stuck with the setup I choose, by that I mean that I would not have the freedom to jump from micro to macro with the flip of a switch. Is that true?

I would also appreciate it if potential pitfalls could be pointed out if there are any.

All information would be welcomed.

Cheers for now

Aquanaut

I need same info.
I posted similar request on the Canon corner.
Let see what is happening

I'll assist where I can:
Housing type and why ( Ex. Ike-lite vs. ? )
Depending on your particular camera model, you may have no choice in brand. If you do have a camera model with multiple brands of housings offered, several factors can come into play. Cost being one for sure. Some people prefer a clear housing as instead of an aluminum housing because they can see when a flood begins. Add-on macro and wide angle lens' are available for some housings. With the aluminum housings, using the internal strobe isn't even an option, so as you can see, there really is no straight answer to that question without knowing which camera we are talking about or what you want to get out of it.
Short shutter lag.
High speed memory.
These are all important and faster is always better, but don't select your camera based on speed, buy it based on image quality.
macro capability
Most digital cameras do pretty good macro and add-on lens are available for the more popular models.
Why use external strobe
The internal strobe will do pretty good for close-up and macro work, but due to it's location, can result in backscatter. The use of an external strobe placed at an angle can greatly reduce this. Of course with the macro work, you are shooting through such a small water column that it usually won't be of much concern. If you desire to shoot wide angle you'll need an external strobe that can provide the wide coverage required of a wide angle lens.
Strobe preference and why
You'll need to know if your camera sends out a pre-flash. Some strobes are designed to work off of the pre-flash some don't. Some strobes, like the inon d180 will do either. A focus or modeling light is always a nice addition because it makes aiming the strobe a breeze.
Best size CF memory card
Difference between memory cards, and where to use them
this again depends on the camera and what file format you choose to take your pictures. Most recommend at least 256 Megs.
standard digital camera, or pay the money and get a DSLR
The housing for a DSLR will be at least what you pay for the DSLR. They are not cheap, so you may be better learning on something a little more economical. You can get a decent consumer model and housing for way less than what the DSLR alone would cost.

These are just my thoughts. Hopefully others will chime in.
Do you already own a camera?

Thank you for your time and advice. I do not own a camera as yet, and that is why I am seeking as much info. as possible, so that when the time comes, I will know what I am looking for, and base my selection of camera type on the information at hand.

Could you suggest any products that may be worth looking at, and if so, would you inform me as to why you would suggest a particular brand/brands worth looking at?

Thanks

Aquanaut

Please forward the reply to me should you get any and I miss it for some reason. I shall endevour to do the same.

Aquanaut

Thank you. Due the tread though, I just ended with more questions that needed answering. Hence the new list of questions.

Aquanaut

Look at the olympus cameras. they make digital cameras with thier housings from 3.2 meg to 8.1 megs. I use the new C5060 with the PT-020 housing. It's a 5.1 meg pix with a 27-110 mm lens. this replaced the C5050 camera. this outfit will cost you around $1000 and is a profression grade camera. It has all the bells and whistles, but will shoot auto just fine for the beginner. Olympus seems to have the best buys for the money in underwater digital cameras. 80% of the people that use digital cameras on the dive boats I've gone on use Olympus and they all love them. I used a C750 4 meg for over a year and loved it.

Good luck in selecting a camera and hope this helps.

You ask some good questions and I think most of the general answers have been answered here and in other threads.

Now you are getting specific when you ask about brands, models etc - these are going to be totally personal preferences and will vary wildly from one person to the next based on a multitude of factors.

If you came to me and asked where to start, with very limited photo knowledge/practice (you didn't say how much dive practice you have?) I would point you in two directions:

1) Canon series. I like the A series. Easy to use, fast, small (though not the smallest out there), excellent image quality, uses CF cards (and I don't recommend anything less than 512 now), intuitive buttons on the housings, complete manual control, video feature that does very nice little videos underwater, expandable with lenses and external strobes. Love these cameras - have two and use them almost exclusively to teach...students bring back some great shots from the first dives always (also a lot of stinkers, but that' learning!) Pretty good support here and elsewhere when you run into questions or problems. Excellent customer service.

2) Oly 5050. More of a learning curve to get great results from, but not horrendously so. More noticeable shutter lag. Uses CF AND XD cards so you can increase the memory available on each dive, which is really nice when that once in a lifetime thing comes past at the safety stop! Internal strobe can produce excellent results - have a search through the galleries and threads - it really is amazing what can be coaxed out of it. Several housings to choose from. I am pretty sure all housings offer complete manual control. Oly's housing is relatively inexpensive and I really like mine. Hate the jog dial, but have gotten used to it. Can shoot RAW - this would be a non-negotiable for me now. Can use the histrogram feature - incredibly helpful with exposures. Fully expandable with lenses and strobes. Lots of support here and elsewhere when you have questions/troubles. Customer service seems to vary, but overall I think it's pretty good.

I would stay away from Epoque strobes, Sea & Sea digital cameras, Reefmasters and Sony. I know each has their champions but I think the first three just aren't flexible enough to get great images from. I see a lot of digital cameras come through every week and from what I have seen the Sony's just don't rank with the Olys and Canons...a friend has a Sony in a marinepack and her images just don't pop and aren't as nice as the ones from even the Canon A20 2MP. Her images when she uses one of my Canons are 100's of times better so it isn't the photographer in this case. Of course, I am sure you will hear from ppl who use and love Sony and other systems...I can only offer what I have seen.

HTH...more questions are always welcome.

Back
Top Bottom