Seeking advice, Orlando area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveh3

Contributor
Reaction score
We are considering a trip to Orlando in May 05’
I want to do some diving while we are there but have a few questions.

1)Which coast has better diving, Atlantic – Gulf? Shore or boat dives?
2)I know there are springs and lakes near Orlando-any recommendations?
3)Do any of the shops rent doubles?
4)I am not cavern or cave certified but do the springs offer other types of diving?
5)I am considering taking a cavern class while there, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

1.) Depends what you are after, Atlantic is a little closer, but the better diving is about the same distance as it is to the nice stuff off the Gulf. If you want sharks teeth go to Venice (2.5 hours), if you want spearfishing go to New Smyrna (1hr + 40-50min boat ride out) or out on the Gulf(1.5hr drive + 1+hour on boat trip out), if you want reefs, go to Jupiter (2 hours), WPB (2.5 hours) or down to Ft Lauderdale (3-3.5 hours) all with about a 30 min boat ride or shore diving off Ft Lauderdale. Boats are around $45-50 on the Atlantic, $$$$ on Gulf due to ride out, $55/60 for New Smyrna Beach due to gas again.
2) In order of preference/distance - Blue Spring - Orange City ($10 40mins - long boardwalk out to site), Devils Den - Williston ($30 best in that area, 1.5 hours), Paradise Springs - Belleview (430 1.25hours), Blue Grotto - Williston ($30 1.5 hours) - highly unrecommended, dont go near the lakes in the are.
3) Only in cave country or down around Ft Lauderdale
4) The springs mentioned in #2 are all open to OW divers, but they are caverns, not much OW up there really, well not close by anyway.
5) Ask GDI on here, look into Ginnie Springs (2.5 hour drive), there are other independants around, i wouldnt go with half the shops around here that offer such courses (nor get very much from any of them) :wink:

Dan, I have to agree with Simon recommendations some of the springs are fun for a single tank dive, kinda like Fuller lake except warmer and better vis.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Looks like excellent opportunities to dive, considering my normal drive to the ocean is 4 hours then a 1-2 hour boat ride to the wreck.
Just trying to figure if its worth it to drive and lug my gear down there or fly and dive singles. Looks like the latter.

Rich, are you up for some dives in May?

Looking foward to warm water for a change!

Best,
Dan

Hi,

Ron Menke out of Kissimmee Pro Dive is a highly respected cave/cavern trainer. He has mapped a lot of the caves in the 'cave country of Florida' and you can be assured of receiving top notch training from him.

Regarding other diving activities. If you want to dive on the reefs, recommend the Atlantic side, down around West Palm Beach, Jupiter, Pampano, etc etc. They offer something for everyone and there is a lot to see.

Getting down there can be a challenge, but not overly so. For example (No, I'm not giving Kissimmee Pro Dive a plug here - just know their schedule) 'Kiss Pro' goes down to West Palm or Jupiter every weekend. It wouldn't be very difficult to borrow equipment from them and offer to car pool with another diver. Speaking for myself, I frequently have other divers ride with me - staves off the boredom!

'Kiss Pro' isn't unique. Almost every dive operation in the Orlando area offers trips to the aforementioned locations. Just call around, check out pricing and schedules, and make your choice. Most divers I know will give you a lift down and back, especially if you offer to split the gas and tolls with them.

SIMBROOKS is right in his assessment of various dive sites up north. However, as I've said a number of times in this forum, to me spring diving is just looking at wet rocks, so I'm not an avid spring diver - but a lot of folks are. Up to you as to what you want to do though.

Best of luck and feel free to message me if you have any additional questions about the Orlando area.

Lee

Dan, if your ganna fly you and coming to Orlando you are more then welcome to stage your gear from my house, you could send it via ups and pick it up after you get here since I live 3 miles from the airport.

I would like to dive with ya again, I have really weird schedules since I been here, but I am sure we can work in a day or 2.

Frank is supposed to be here next weekend, I was wanting to try and dive with him, but my schedule has not been confirmed as of yet.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom