Securing your camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

on how to make sure you don't donate the camera to the sea bottom...

But how are you securing it close to your body when your not using it? Am hopeing for a solution that doesn't result in the camera dangling by the lanyard(s).

Mike,

Like the other posts previous I have my camera attached to a lanyard. I have a Reefmaster + external strobe. When the camera is not in use it floats (normally right above me) and when I need it I pull it in. This sometimes can be a pain but I haven't pursued other ways of attaching or storing while not in use.

With the accessory tray and strobe attached, the Auto35 is negative (IOW, it will dangle from wrist underwater).

Where's Herman in all of this...I think I saw him using a method of stowing hims MX-10 in a hands free manner on that last drift dive the Wreckmaniacs did.....

why no retractor?

Personal preference amongst the dive team I'm getting in with...

Mostly due to potential of entanglement if attentions are elsewhere.

Rignt now, I'm thinking of trying two bolt snaps on either side of the camera body so I can stow the camera against my body on my BC d-rings.

If I figure out something that works, I'll post a photo and a report.

As I mentioned earlier, I use the coiled lanyard system everyone else is talking about. One end is fastened to the camera where the whimpy little wrist strap started out. The other end fastens to a ring on my bc just above the pocket. This way, when the coil part is snapped, the camera falls neatly against me, and is very naturally cradled in my elbow when I have my arms crossed in front of me. -- Keeps me streamlined, camera safe, and my hands free. -- if I should spread my arms for whatever reason, the camera hangs from my left side at about waist level, but stays close to my body because of the the tightly coiled cable.

I use a locking retractor attatched to the base of the camera & a carbiner/split ring on the strobe knob. The retractor is bolted (not clipped) to my right upper strap & I hook the carbiner to a ring at the bottom of my BC when I'm not using the camera.

Using a locking retractor stops it from dangling. I changed to a carbiner for the lower clip because it's so much easier to hook & release than the bolt snap I was using.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom