Securing Camera during Shore Entries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not take my Nauticam NA6400 in through rough surf. I have a FIX90 rig, similarly rigged, which I might take through surf. Why, well, sand and grit get into everything. But that is aside.

I set my camera up so I can be hands free.

View attachment 679069

Here, if you look carefully, the two upper bolt snaps that are together, one goes to the left shoulder D-ring and the other to the right shoulder D-ring. The lower, orange, bolt snap goes to my scooter/crotch ring. The blue tether, also goes to the scooter ring. In use, only the blue coil tether is connected. But when I need to be hands free I clip in as described. This puts the camera rig across my chest and is stable and secure so I can deal with climbing ladders, OOA divers or fighting off sharks or whatever is the case. Overkill? Well, I wanted the rig to be stable and not flopping around and since the replacement cost is significant, overkill is good, given that insurance pays for floods and theft but not loss, keep that in mind.

BTW, the white grab handle is on the rig only during recovery if handing to a boat deck hand. In use I remove it and put it on my RH D-ring. And when handing off the upper two bolts snaps are put together as shown. Also, and since replaced with two 4mm bungee loops, you can see two silicone rubber bands. Those are secured to the outer arm clamps, one each side, and they are snapped over the inner arm clamps on the top of each handle. These keep the strobes from flopping and spreading out. Everything is nice and tucked in. Yes, it takes a moment to ready the camera once in the water and likewise at the end of the dive but we are talking less than 30 seconds.

James
Separate from OP question, but how do you insure your camera?

When I lived in the states I ensured my old camera with a state farm personal property plan. The wording says it covers flooding, but I'm not sure we defined flooding the same way. Luckily I didn't have to put it to the test.

I havd the DAN insurance. It has paid off for me once on a flooded camera. The insurance pays for floods with proof (a flooded camera dripping water is proof) and for theft with a police report. If the camera gets lost overboard in 6,000 feet of water, that would not be covered.

James

I havd the DAN insurance. It has paid off for me once on a flooded camera. The insurance pays for floods with proof (a flooded camera dripping water is proof) and for theft with a police report. If the camera gets lost overboard in 6,000 feet of water, that would not be covered.

James
Is it special insurance on top of normal DAN insurance? I have the Guardian plan and professional liability insurance through them. Do I need anything else?

Is it special insurance on top of normal DAN insurance? I have the Guardian plan and professional liability insurance through them. Do I need anything else?
The insurance is through H2O and to get that coverage you must belong to DAN as I understand. We list out our dive and photo gear including serial numbers and MSRP that we want to cover. The insurance is rather expensive and the more equipment you list the more it is of course.

James

The insurance is through H2O and to get that coverage you must belong to DAN as I understand. We list out our dive and photo gear including serial numbers and MSRP that we want to cover. The insurance is rather expensive and the more equipment you list the more it is of course.

James
Thanks so much for the info

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom