Securing battery inside canister (Halcyon Pro 14)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leto

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'm putting a new Li-Ion battery pack (around 2KG / 4.5 LBS) inside an old Halcyon Pro 14 canister. There is a grove in the bottom that stops the battery from rotating but still allows it to slide up and down. Would the lid with regular latches be strong enough to keep it in place or do I need to find another way to secure the battery inside the canister?

Thank you!

I don't know the specifics of your cannister, but I've just stuffed some cut/shaped pieces of high-density closed-cell foam inside a DIY strobe I built, to keep the components from rattling around. I used pieces cut from an old camping sleeping pad for the foam. Works great for me.

Hi TooCold,

Thanks for your reply. Making sure the battery can’t move won’t be a problem, I’m just not sure if the two Nielsen latches on the lid and canister are ok with holding the 2kg battery pack when the canister is upside down..

If there is sufficient clearance, I would guess "yes". At least, mine do, but I don't own that canister, so it's impossible to say.

Wrap battery in some sort of soft thing to hold battery in place. IMHO. I often use sort of PPE water pipe insulation.

Assuming you're planning to use that thigh sized can while diving, your battery really shouldn't be bouncing around that much. 😉

I put some pipe insulation in mine to protect the battery from rattling and to protect the Andersen connectors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom