Securing backup light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue!

Contributor
Reaction score
Question: I'm planning on getting a UK SL4 backup light (my diving is quarry, recreational night...no penetration dives) and am fairly new to the bp/w setup. I've read, and it makes sense, that having backup lights clipped off to shoulder D-rings is preferred. However, the GUE site also discussing placing them "on one's harness below the arms."

Now, is the buoyancy of these lights such that they will lay against the body when swimming horizontally? I'm picturing the light dangling down off the D-ring, and that's not a pretty picture... Am I missing something?

Jim

GoBlue!:
Question: I'm planning on getting a UK SL4 backup light (my diving is quarry, recreational night...no penetration dives) and am fairly new to the bp/w setup. I've read, and it makes sense, that having backup lights clipped off to shoulder D-rings is preferred. However, the GUE site also discussing placing them "on one's harness below the arms."

Now, is the buoyancy of these lights such that they will lay against the body when swimming horizontally? I'm picturing the light dangling down off the D-ring, and that's not a pretty picture... Am I missing something?

Jim

Shoulder Dring, then held close to the harness with a piece if innertube or bungee. Here's a pic. Look to the right, under the inflator.

You can't just clip it off to the ring, otherside it'll be flapping in the breeze. You need to secure it with the innertube / bungee, too.

K

Mo2vation:
Shoulder Dring, then held close to the harness with a piece if innertube or bungee. Here's a pic. Look to the right, under the inflator.
K

Can't see what he's done up close in that pic. If the light is clipped to the R shoulder D-ring, where is the bungee attached? All that's there is a piece of webbing, and it seems that if I attached the bungee to the D-ring, it'd be too close to the bolt snap to really do much good. i'm confused. :)

Jim

GoBlue!:
Can't see what he's done up close in that pic. If the light is clipped to the R shoulder D-ring, where is the bungee attached? All that's there is a piece of webbing, and it seems that if I attached the bungee to the D-ring, it'd be too close to the bolt snap to really do much good. i'm confused. :)

Jim
The bungee loop / Innertube loop is placed around the webbing, between the shoulder Dring and the hip tri-glide. The loop is pulled up, and the barrell / body of the light is placed into the loop, so its held firmly against the webbing.

K

Look at the head of the light in the pic. There is a bungee around it and the webbing.

bcsean:
Look at the head of the light in the pic. There is a bungee around it and the webbing.

The bungee is just looped around the webbing and knotted to itself. This does mean it slides somewhat freely, and may slide down a little when unused, but it's not too difficult to retrieve.

I use 1/8" bungee looped three times. (Despite most people talking about inner-tube, I've never found sufficiently stretchy inner tube to be happy with it, and use bungee, as shown in the linked picture.)

Misc. notes: 1) If you just need a quick look at something, you may not even need to unclip the light from the shoulder ring to use it. 2) turn it on before unclipping it. On the off chance you lose hold of it, at least it's on, which increases your chance of finding it manyfold.

lairdb:
(Despite most people talking about inner-tube, I've never found sufficiently stretchy inner tube to be happy with it, and use bungee, as shown in the linked picture.)

I use 2 1/4" bicycle tubes about 1" wide, 3 to each strap in case one breaks. Works well for the Johnston style lights and stays in place better than bungee IMO.

In the DIR DVD GI said he uses a tank neck Oring, has anyonr tried that? It seems like a tight fit but easier to remove.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom