Securing Accessories in DS Pocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
What is the correct way to secure accessories (shears, wet notes, etc.) in a dry suit pocket?

Rick Inman:
What is the correct way to secure accessories (shears, wet notes, etc.) in a dry suit pocket?

Put two loops of small bungie cord throught the front of a bellows pocket and one through the utility pocket. Clip off everything with small stainless bolt snaps tied to the item, or in the case of spools, etc., a double ender. As a general rule, I clip stuff I rarely use and that is large enough to easily identify by feel in the pocket, such as safety spools and backup mask to one of the cords and shove that all to the bottom. Regularly used items are clipped to the other cord. This allows you to pull what you are going to use out of the pocket, feel for it easier, and then stuff everything else back into the pocket.

RTodd:
Put two loops of small bungie cord throught the front of a bellows pocket and one through the utility pocket. Clip off everything with small stainless bolt snaps tied to the item, or in the case of spools, etc., a double ender. As a general rule, I clip stuff I rarely use and that is large enough to easily identify by feel in the pocket, such as safety spools and backup mask to one of the cords and shove that all to the bottom. Regularly used items are clipped to the other cord. This allows you to pull what you are going to use out of the pocket, feel for it easier, and then stuff everything else back into the pocket.
Thanks.

My bellows pocket came with a plactic D ring on the inside. Would you attach the bungee to that? What is the loop length of the bungee?

Rick Inman:
Thanks.

My bellows pocket came with a plactic D ring on the inside. Would you attach the bungee to that? What is the loop length of the bungee?

I think the new DUI ones come with a stainless one like that as well at the top. While a bit anal, I would probably avoid a plastic D-ring. You could probably just tie it off to that if you wanted. The advantage of poking two holes in the front of the pocket (I bet there are pictures on the WKPP site) is that then they are held fairly far apart. And you can distinguish which one is which at least with relatively thin gloves.

The loop length isn't that big. Basically enough to clip off whatever you need to clip. Check the WKPP site. If there are not pictures, let me know and I will dig some up.

RTodd:
Check the WKPP site. If there are not pictures, let me know and I will dig some up.
Yup, found the pics HERE HERE and HERE. Tanks!

RTodd:

this is pretty much what my dir instructor taught us. you can vary this a bit but generally this is ideal

Nice, never saw this before but I had already been doing this. :D

Rick Inman:

The WKRP site has all the pics (as you've seen.) I just cut the D ring out of my DUI right pocket... made it too tough to get Wetnotes in and out. I don't secure the wetnotes. I use them throughout the dive, and it'd be such a pain clipping and unclipping. Years now, and never lost one.

I use this for the shears But have replaced the double ender with a zip tie. It makes the whole affair shorter in length, and easier to get to the mask and dive alert and stuff.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
I use this for the shears But have replaced the double ender with a zip tie. It makes the whole affair shorter in length, and easier to get to the mask and dive alert and stuff.
That's pretty slick.

Oops. Perhaps thats the wrong adjective... :)

(guess it depends whether you're east coast DIR or west coast DIR :D )

I'll use your idea if you don't mind, but will likely leave a boltsnap on the hose because the problem for me isn't getting them out, but putting them back after use. I suspect the boltsnap will make replacing the shears in the pocket easier than feeling around beneath two slung deco bottles to find the hose ziptied off to a bungee in the pocket...then feeding the shears into it.

But I like it better than the boltsnap tied to the shears handle with the blades left exposed if they come open slightly...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom