Secret Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2O lover

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know if Secret Beach is currrently open? I know that it is before the Suffolk Legislature for purchase ( might be a good time to write letters to your legislator to support the purchase )
I'm looking for a nice easy beach dive wiith my kids 11 and 13.

Thanks,
John
aka H2O lover

XJae:

From an e-mail I recieved from Long Island Divers Association (LIDA):

As mentioned in the Editorial Section of Newsday on June 10, 2005, it is possible that County Executive Steven Levy may VETO Resolution 1474-2005 which the Suffolk County Legislature overwhelmingly passed to fund initial examination into the County buying Clark's Beach (Secret Beach)and creating Parkland to preserve access.

As you must know by now, Greenport Village, which owns the property, is determined to sell it. We as divers MUST be sure that County Executive Levy is aware of the broad based support that exists county purchase of the beach. LIDA wholeheartedly supports the Resolution.

I have printed below the text of a sample letter to Mr. Levy urging him to sign the Resolution into law. He must do so or VETO it in the next 10 days. PLEASE write your own letter to Mr. Levy NOW. In the alternative, just use the letter below. It is critical the you SIGN, ADD YOUR ADDRESS, and DATE any letter you send. This is absolutely essential for the preservation of this dive site. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE. Please act IMMEDIATELY. Please also urge your friends, relatives, acquaintanences, and all you know to IMMEDIATLY do the same.

LIDA thanks you for your concern. Sample letter is below.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Suffolk County Executive Steven Levy
100 Veterans Memorial Highway
Hauppague New York 11788-0099

Dear County Executive Levy,

I urge you in the strongest terms possible to help preserve public access to Clark's Beach in Greenport by County purchase of the property and creation of public park land, preserving citizen assess to this area.

This is not merely land being sold by a Village. Clark's Beach is virtually the only public land access to the Long Island Sound on the North Shore of Suffolk County. It is used for multiple purposes, including fishing, swimming and sun bathing. Most unique is its use as a site for recreational scuba diving and training for over 40 years. The area is irreplaceable. It is ideal not only for recreation and open water qualification dives, but also for navigation and rescue training, critical to the safety of all divers.

The Suffolk Legislature recognized the unique character of this site by overwhelming passage of Resolution 1474-2005 which authorizes the County under the Multifaceted Land Preservation Program to undertake and fund initial steps towards a purchase. That now passed Resolution should be signed by you without delay. The adverse environmental impact of private development of the area is clear and obvious. The loss of one of the few remaining "open areas" on the North Shore would be an tragic loss to the people of Long Island.

You have a unique opportunity to help preserve this waterfront access for the public. Please do all in your power to preserve this important and beautiful beach, and IMMEDIATELY sign Resolution 1374-2005 into law. Long Island needs more Parks and open areas, not more waterfront private estates.

Thank you for your attention and concern.

Respectfully

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom