Secret bay: is it worth the trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jpalcg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I am diving at Pemuteran and before arriving I was targeting a couple of dives at Secret Bay. However I got the info from two different local dive operators that SB has been declining in quality in the last couple of years and is hardly worth the trip. I have dived Lembeh in the past, as well as a couple of other muck diving spots, so I would appreciate unbiased opinions on whether there's really any "must see or do" stuff there.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have been diving Secret Bay 3 years ago, IMO doesn't compare to anything like Lembeh or Anilao in terms of quality and density of critters. Except for the Banggai cardinal fish and the odd hispid frogfish, Tulamben and Seraya area have much more interesting stuff than Secret bay. That said I think it is still a better site than Pemuteran's.
Would I bother go back to Pemuteran/Menjangan/Secret Bay when I am in Bali (ie. every year). my answer is no.
For any reason I was to stay in Pemuteran, would I go back to Secret Bay? yes probably.

I've only dove Secret Bay on a a couple of trips and wasn't blown away. The first time I went because it was the one reliable place I'd ever heard of to see the picturesque dragonet and I saw quite a few of them. The last time I went was a little over a year ago and was told the dragonets were taken by the aquarium trade, and I didn't really see too much other than a number of frogfish. It was always something I'd heard as well that SB was declining. Another site you can dive from Pemuteran is Puri Jati ("PJ"), a place I loved the times I'd been there. Again, the reputation seems to be "it's changed" and I personally haven't dove there in about 3 years or so. There is also an ok muck dive "Mucky Pirate's Bay" which is the house reef for the Adi Assri Resort...not a reason to make the trip up there but worth diving if there anyway. Otherwise, as Luko suggested, Tulamben/Seraya remain fantastic, and I'd throw in "Secret Pier" at Padang Bai as well.

..... Except for the Banggai cardinal fish and the odd hispid frogfish, Tulamben and Seraya area have much more interesting stuff than Secret bay. ....
There are Banggai cardinal fish in Secret Bay? Wow. (That is "wow" in a bad way. It was shocking and disappointing to see them in Lembeh.)

Thanks guys, you've been very helpful. I am staying at Pemuteran and will be doing the mucky Pirate's bay. Sad to hear about the decline of such places

I was in Tulamben about 3 years ago for the wreck only as my trip was ending, and wasn't impressed with the dive centre I chose. Any recommendations?

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've always stayed and dove with Tulamben Wreck Divers and never had any reason to try anyone else

There are Banggai cardinal fish in Secret Bay? Wow. (That is "wow" in a bad way. It was shocking and disappointing to see them in Lembeh.)
Yep, I suppose it might have been some aquaria export from a Bali shop that fell off from one of the ferries :wink:

I was in Tulamben about 3 years ago for the wreck only as my trip was ending, and wasn't impressed with the dive centre I chose. Any recommendations?
Liberty Dive Resort, Nitrox for free, private guide for free (Ask for Uji, he's terrfic on the liberty slope), Nice accoms too, 100m walkkng distance from the shore and 50m west of the wreck.

Last edited:
SB is only worth diving if you can be there for high tide. It's very shallow and high tide slack offers the best conditions. Tide tables for Pemuteran are available on my website if you want to have a look for yourself... Do expect poor visibility at SB due to the very nature of the bay and it's sediments. Always a negative for pictures...
Puri Jati is still not to be missed if you are in Pemuteran. Mimic, wunder and frogs can all be seen.
There are also dive sites in the Pemuteran area where you can see mandarins.

In the Tulamben area, Seraya is very good at the moment and nudis are out in force.

The Jetty in Padangbai is still giving great photo opps. Over the last week, we had frogs, including hairy, painted, warted and giant, tons of octopii, including Blue Ring, rhinopias, including eschmeyeri and frondosa, gurnards, pipefish, etc, etc! Despite the viz not being great (10-15m), we currently have divers who insist on diving there everyday...
Pity for them since we have many less well known places in Padangbai where you can see many rare shrimps, like Coleman, Daffy Duck (Alan should be able to tell us the Latin name), needle or sorong. Some of these are deep though. Makes little sense to go look for them without nitrox...

The Jetty in Padangbai is still giving great photo opps. Over the last week, we had frogs, including hairy, painted, warted and giant, tons of octopii, including Blue Ring, rhinopias, including eschmeyeri and frondosa, gurnards, pipefish, etc, etc! Despite the viz not being great (10-15m), we currently have divers who insist on diving there everyday...
Pity for them since we have many less well known places in Padangbai where you can see many rare shrimps, like Coleman, Daffy Duck (Alan should be able to tell us the Latin name), needle or sorong. Some of these are deep though. Makes little sense to go look for them without nitrox...

You are tempting me back :)

Daffy Duck (Alan should be able to tell us the Latin name)
Leander plumosus I suppose (I'm not Allan and this one from Tulamben)

10884893694_b86bb4484d.jpg

Over the last week, we had frogs, including hairy...octopii, including Blue Ring, rhinopias, including eschmeyeri ...
Must go back!

many rare shrimps... sorong.
Hmmh Sorong sounds much to me like a Raja Ampat airport with dirty restrooms. :D
May be Saron?

11683656876_84c819b63d.jpg

Attachments

• 10884893694_b86bb4484d.jpg
    10884893694_b86bb4484d.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 11683656876_84c819b63d.jpg
    11683656876_84c819b63d.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 15
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom