Secondary Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. P

Reaction score
In the last month, I've bought a new C5060, Inon 180 strobe, Inon Wide Angle Lense, base, arms and a PT-020 housing. My first day in Cozumel, I was reviewing the housing for the first time and preparing to service the O-rings. When I went to remove the front port I discovered that one of the "dimples" that the front port clips onto was broken off / missing. I'm positive I did not do it and am now making attempts to return it to the ebay reseller I bought it from (we'll see how that goes). My question to you is this.....We're going to be on an Agressor trip in August and I can just see something like this happening to the housing and there I am - out of commission :11: Considering that the housing is by far the cheapest component of all....should I consider buying a second housing for backup? Is that too much redundancy? Does anyone else one a "backup" housing?

Compared to the cost of the trip, spares are cheap. They are especially important if your main activity is to taking u/w pics. Spare anything electronic (camera, strobe, dive computer, battery charger, batteries, etc) & any parts that might fail. This would include a PT housing. Also make sure you have extra o-rings for everything.

jcclink:
Compared to the cost of the trip, spares are cheap. They are especially important if your main activity is to taking u/w pics. Spare anything electronic (camera, strobe, dive computer, battery charger, batteries, etc) & any parts that might fail. This would include a PT housing. Also make sure you have extra o-rings for everything.

Yes, a good point. It's good to have a double of anything that can fail.

I think you're all correct. I'm going to purchase a second housing to be sure. I have spare CF cards, batteries, etc. It only makes sense, especially going on a live aboard. thanks for all the rapid feedback.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but from my experiences (thankfully vicarious and not personal) it is far more likely your camera will go kerpluey than the housing YMMV...you'll need a backup camera to go with your backup housing.

I have the second housing for my Oly 5050 and I have a Canon system I use as backup for now. A second 5050 is probably not too far in the future :wink:

Beast also has a C-5050 and PT-15. We consider it a backup to my rig should something happen. 'Course that means we also carry the C-4040/PT-10 for HIS backup. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom