Secondary Air Source

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2divedeep

Reaction score
I am new to diving, with that, I am in the process of buying gear. I have a SeaQuest Balance BC and Mares Proton Ice reg, I am looking to purchase an additional air source other than an octo. Is it a good idea to stay with SeaQuest, since I have a SeaQuest BC? Or are the interchangeable?

Thanks.

I know the Scubapro Air 2 is compatible with the Seaquest corrugated hose and I am fairly sure the same holds true for combination octo/inflators made by TUSA and Atomic. However, some BC manufacturers do use a different diameter corrugated hose that would require an adaper to work.

2divedeep:
I am looking to purchase an additional air source other than an octo.

Am I guessing right that you're looking for extra redundancy?

If so then buying a 3rd second stage isn't the way.

Your second stages are already redundant enough with two. If you want to build more redundancy in to your kit then you could buy a new 1st stage and hang your octopus on it's own first stage. You would have to add an H or a Y valve to your tank but that would be a significant improvement in the redundancy department.

If you're looking for more redundancy AND a way to limit your problems in the case of a massive free flow (which, btw are quite rare) then you could consider a decent sized pony like a 19cf or so. Then you'd have redundancy on a totally independent air source that you could use for bailing out even after running out of air.

Just a couple of thoughts.

R..

Thanks for your response. However, just to clarify, I am trying to eliminate my octo line/inflator with an integrated air source and inflator. Do I match to BC and/or Regulator when upgrading to an integrated air source. Furthermore, do I need to stay with same brand?

Thanks again!

You don't necessarily need to stay with the same brand, just make sure that the corrugated hose diameter will fit your intergrated octo.
Seaquest makes and includes its "Air Source" in some of its BC's. You may want to check it out.

I see. Yes you can mix and match brands. The important things are that it fits on the inflator hose (most will) and that you get the alternate tuned to match the first stage intermediate pressure.

Having said that, why are you interested in eliminating your octopus?

There are some good discussions about this in the archives.

R..

I like the idea of streamlining. For me, reducing a line makes sense, as long as it is safe. You'd mentioned previous discussions on the reduction of the octo in archives, how would I find these?

Thanks!

If you look at the menu across to top of the page you'll see a "search" function. Click on it to open it and then look at the bottom of the box that appears. You'll see the option "advanced search". Click on this.

In that screen you can search the archives. Just enter search terms like "air II", "AIRII", "Sequest air source" and so on.

R..

2divedeep:
I like the idea of streamlining. For me, reducing a line makes sense, as long as it is safe. You'd mentioned previous discussions on the reduction of the octo in archives, how would I find these?

Thanks!

I would agree. However there are more ways of creating streamlining than just replacing the octopus. Maybe we can take a look at why it's bugging you?

R..

2divedeep,

I also prefer alternate inflation regulators for their streamlining value.
If you look at Seaquests air way with Airsource you'll see that it is longer than your current hose with inflator, and has the remote exhaust grip in the middle. This may be the best way for you to upgrade your BC. The length of the hose without it may restrict you from looking straight ahead with an AIR in your mouth. (They all somewhat restrict a right side head turn, but thats the price for reducing clutter; worth it in my opinion.) My memory as a former SQ dealer is that they can probably sell you the whole airway for the about the same price as taking yours apart and adding the other pieces necessary to convert it.
Other manufacturers generally use a little longer corrugated hose than the standard Seaquest and to date I have not seen a set up quite like theirs. The Airsource has a curved flange that is slightly smaller than standard and it matches their hose nicely.

For special applications requiring less drag, some of us tech dive a little differently than the general doubles and two front mount stage configuration.

Chad
FL Zeagle Rep.

Back
Top Bottom