Second Strobe Or Wide Angle Lense?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skeptic14

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm very new to UW photography and using a TG-4 with PT-056 case and a single YS-03 strobe. The TG-4 is great, for snorkeling and shallow depths with just ambient light it works very well. My general skills need improvement more than upgrades to gear right now probably, but I'm considering adding a second strobe to my setup to improve lighting and thus capturing color. I'm more interested in shooting wide angle vs macro as larger subjects interest me more, thus the second strobe.

Does the second strobe make sense to improve wide angle shots? Or would a wide angle lense make more sense?

Or just honing skills in general?

Thanks

If you want wide angle shots, a wide angle lens will be helpful. You can light your foreground or subject with a single strobe and the background with ambient light. You'll probably want a second strobe later. The wide angle lens will allow you to fit more into your shot, closer to the camera. That will improve your lighting with a single strobe. Anything more than 3 feet away is out of strobe range anyway.

I vote for honing your diving skills before you delve into more camera gear. Great buoyancy is one of the most if not the most important skill in underwater photography. Without it you can't get close enough to your subject to light it properly without damaging the reef and its inhabitants.

Thanks for the feedback. I am leaning a little more toward just practicing with what I have right now before buying more gear even though the idea of getting a wide angle lens seems appealing too for the reasons you point out Larry.

Looking back through recent photos and after reading several different tips/techniques articles I'm definitely still making some of the novice mistakes that a second strobe or new lens wont correct anyway.

But, with an upcoming trip the urge to buy new toys is hard to fight :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom