Second Strobe or Fish-eye lens??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Velour

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Following some great advice on this site I decided on an Ikelite housing, 8"dome and Sigma 17-70 lens for my D80. To stay w/in my budget I am looking at 1 DS-160 strobe and the tokina 10-17 fisheye or 2 DS-160 strobes. This will be my first time with big DSLR u/w. Is it worth getting the WA if only have the 1 strobe or should I stick with one lens/2 strobes first time out with this set-up? If you had to choose, which way would you lean and why?

Thanks!
Monika

Hi Monika.

Have you bought the Sigma 17-70 macro lens and the 8 inch dome yet????

If you havn't I would lean towards Ikelite housing, Nikkor 60mm Macro, Ikelite macro port, cheap little fantasea LED modeling light and two DS160's.

I know this is a little different to what you posted but it will be a complete macro setup which you can use all the time and you would even have a little money left over for the next lens purchase.

I then would be saving for the Tokina 10-17mm and 8 inch Dome at a later date.

As for the 17-70mm Sigma I would leave it till last. Maybe even look at getting the 105mm Macro before the 17-70mm Sigma.

I went this way with my D80 setup and was very happy with the results.

Regards Mark

Agree with AB the Tokina 10-17mm is under utilized with just one strobe it really needs two. I have the Sigma 17-70mm and it is a decent "don't know what I will find" lens but does not do Macro or WA great. The real questions is what interests you more WA or Macro??? My eye goes to WA so thats where I started. Macro is a little easier to get good results with early on and one strobe is fine. So you sort of have to pick what you lean to.

Based on your setup, I would suggest this road:

IMHO:
Now: 1st strobe
Next: 60mm + Port
Then: 2nd strobe
Then: FishEye lens (either Tokina 10-17 or Nikkor 10.5)

AB hit it right on the mark. The macro system is also the easiest to learn your DSLR system with. And the Tokina 10-17 is not only your best bet for a wide angle lens, it will be best suited to shoot that with dual strobes.

I would change it a bit
Use the 12-24 instead if you have not already bought hte lens. You can get decent coverage with the DS125 / DS160 and a diffuser.
This is my favorite lens so far. I also have an 18-70 and have used a friends 60mm macro (next on the shopping list however).
The drawbacks to the single flash are:
blue shadows when balancing flash and available light
harsher shadows than with 2 flashes
need to use another primary dive light at night. The diffused ds125 or Ds160 is no longer bright enough as a primary light. This will push you to a second flash to avoid the diffuser or a canister style light (so you can hold camera and light at the same time).
This is what I use with my D200 and Ikelite housing

Back
Top Bottom