Second stage quick disconnect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My point exactly. For on an FFM as a single gas supply, a QD is a point of possible failure that I wouldn't recommend.

I thought the argument on a full face mask was to cary a spare SCUBA mask and drill on switching to your recreational SCUBA alternate air source.

Now if you are saying the rig in question is setup by a hose and fitting expert like myself and has a bailout plumbed through a dedicated sideblock, then yes, I totally agree with your point. It would be a weak point in the breathing gas delivery system that might compromise the backup breathing gas supply line.

I thought you were refering to a surface supplied air hat rig. The hat is always attached to the primary breathing gas supply line with a threaded fitting. Only the reserve, which is always put on before the hat, might have a quick connect to releave the diver and tender from having to lift the hat while doning the bailout and diving harness.

I dive a FFM recreationally and I considered the idea of a quick connect because the regulator bag that came with the mask was too small for the mask and the first stage with all it's hoses. I found it was eaisier to just buy a bigger bag.

I think we're on the same sheet of music.

I dive an AGA mask almost exclusively. Waiting for the Guardian to come out. It'll solve the storage issue of mask and regulator.

I got more responses than I hoped for! Let me explain a little about the reason for asking. We have a ten man volunteer dive team. We own five oceanreef full face units with comms. All of our divers use their personal reg sets. The idea was to purchase quick connect stems for the guys to put on their 1st stage regs so they could respond and don the oceanreefs w/o changing hoses. However, the descision has been made that our five top responders will be issued the units we have. The restricted flow at depth issue isn't one that I've encountered with the added male stem, we are diving the cooper river, and we rarely see depth greater than 40'. I do appreciate all of the responses.

my dad and I both dive Ocean Reef Neptune Space Predators w/ comms, and we have this hose:

Ocean Reef Quick Disconnect Hose for Full Face Mask from LeisurePro.com

With an extra male QD on our second stages for when we don't want to dive the ffm:
Ocean Reef Quick Connect Male part only from LeisurePro.com

I view the QD to be a good part of our setup, since it allows us to separate the mask from the rest of our rig, avoiding damage to it. Sure, one more failure point, but we also dive with a 30cf pony each dive, and have practiced switching. The QD also isn't easy to accidentally pop off, especially when pressurized. If you are worried about it somehow disconnecting, Ocean Reef sells a commercial grade connector, which has a much more powerful spring in it.

Absolute,

Our team had the very same dilema, six masks and more divers than masks. We looked a QD but the pressure drop at depth combined with a potential failure point and we decided to issue the masks to our most active divers. This is the safest way to go. We recently put in for a local grant to get some more masks, comm rope and MK-7. I think your team made a sound decision. Best of luck.

Mark D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom