Second Stage for Scubapro MK25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheQuickening1101

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I bought an MK25/G250HP set up second hand and have recently gotten it serviced. I have an Air2 Octo right now, but I want an actual quality second stage to use primarily and switch the g250hp as my octopus. Does anyone have any suggestions on what second stage I should use with the MK25. I can not afford an A700 or S600. What are your opinions on the C300 and C200 Second stages and also on getting another brand second stage and using it with the MK25?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and opinions.

---------- Post Merged at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Also am contemplating the S555 (or Sub Gear Cayman) as a choice.

The S555 is quite good. I used to dive one before giving it to my gf to use. Between us, it has at least 400 dives and has never been anything but great.

I would use the G250 as a primary before the C2/300.

I've done a review on the C300. Do a search for C300 and it should show up.

It's a case study, and I may just have a dog (but I'm also a Scubapro tech so tuning isn't the answer and parts swapping would be required to improve performance) but I was not real impressed with the one I bought.

The G250HP is not up to the G250 or G250V standard, and they come in a few major configurations so performance varies a bit, but they are probably a better choice for a primary than a C200 or C300. Those two regs are pretty good by unbalanced standards but are not up to the G250HP level of performance.

I would suggest you get either a used D400, G250, or a new G250V. But the G250HP is nothing to sneeze at; it's a bit over-engineered and lacks the metal air barrel of the original G250, but still is a high performance 2nd stage by any standard. If you get a good D400, and there are many available on the used market, you'll notice a big improvement IMO.

+1 for the G250V.

On top of the performance issues reported by DA, the C200/300 have some vibration issues that make they louder than the norm. The vibrations are clearly visible on the ANSTI chart at Scubapro's Web site. Hopefully, they'll come up with a diaphragm upgrade like they did for the A700.

The SubGear SB-1000 ( formerly Cayman ) 2nd stage has been upgraded. It is similar to the S600.

An Excellent choice. It only has a 30 yr warranty, probably enough for most divers.

The SubGear SB-1000 ( formerly Cayman ) 2nd stage has been upgraded. It is similar to the S600.

An Excellent choice. It only has a 30 yr warranty, probably enough for most divers.

Please define "similar". I don't find anything on that regulator on Scubapro.com.

Check SUBGEAR

.....sent from my Scubapro Galileo Sol

Check SUBGEAR

.....sent from my Scubapro Galileo Sol

Interesting. It looks like they actually share some parts and it is pneumatically balanced and user adjustable. So, besides cosmetics, what are the difference with the S600? Do they both use the same LP seat? Do they both use the S-wing poppet?

250 v or 250 Graphite. Performance is indistiguishable, outstanding, both can be cleaned, tuned and self-serviced effortlessly. The only difference I can see is that you can disassemble the Graphite underwater, and they are not available new anymore. The big V, with its stainless venturi, is superb.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom