Second guessing Talc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

White Knight

Contributor
Reaction score
Probably been asked and answered before, but....I am second guessing the concept of putting talc on my dry suit seals before storage as a means of protecting them. I burn through seals every 1 to 2 years and I believe it is because talc is a '"drying" agent. Being so, it would seem that talc would act to dry out the latex prematurely. Wouldn't it be better to put a moisturizer on the seals or put nothing on them at all? Just keep the dry suit loosely rolled up, in a loose bag, and out of the light? I appreciate your thoughts in advance!

Last edited:
Probably been asked and answered before, but....I am second guessing the concept of putting talc on my dry suit seals before storage as a means of protecting them. I burn through seals every 1 to 2 years and I believe it is because talc is a '"drying" agent. Being so, it would seem that talc would act to dry out the latex prematurely. Wouldn't it be better to put a moisturizer on the seals or put nothing on them at all? Just keep the dry suit loosely rolled up, in a loose bag, and out of the light? I appreciate your thoughts in advance!

I always used silicon grease. I just checked my drysuit, it's been hanging in my cellar for 15 years, The seals still have the grease on them and are as soft and subtle as the day I hung it up. Plus your hands will slide right thru the seal when you put it on! In 10 years of diving with that suit it still as the original seals, wrist and neck.

Back
Top Bottom