Seattle in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dogvet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will likely be going to Seattle the first week of June for the ACVIM conference. How is scuba diving that time of year? Any suggestions for a diving company? Is a 7mm suit enough? I have dove on the East coast of Canada(Gaspe) in July will an 7 mm...chilling experience at 60 ft.

Water temperatures in June will be in the low 50's, and visibility varies but is unlikely to be more than 20 feet at best, and may be significantly less. There's a TON of life in the water at that time of year, though.

We have a number of good charter companies, but there is also a LOT of very easy access shore diving which is very good.

People dive wet here. I don't know how, but they do. There is no thermocline to speak of -- what you get into is the same as what you find at depth.

Check back in this forum when you're closer to your arrival dates, and you'll be sure to find people who will be delighted to meet up and dive with you. We're a sociable bunch, we PNWers, and always looking for an excuse to dive (like we need one).

I am actually moving to the area at about the same time... Bremerton area... so what you're saying is that I'm not going to have the crystal clear waters like Hawaii's? (just kidding, I learned to dive on the other side of the contry... Maine/New Hampshire area).

I sold my drysuit about 6 months ago, now it looks like I'll have to save up for a new one.

Low 50's and 20 ft visibility sort of sound like the conditions in Gaspe this summer. I think it got to 48F at 60 ft. The beauty made up for the cold!!!!

Let us know when you get closer to coming on out...I am sure there will be a bunch of us that can help you out.
And FishbOy....why O why did you sell your drysuit???
:)

scubak:
And FishbOy....why O why did you sell your drysuit???
:)
2 reasons
1. I live in Hawaii and I did not plan on leaving
2. It was at least 10 years old and was starting to show its age

Oh well... I'm saving for a new Bare

Hopefully I will be able to spend a few days in Seattle before by conference and get at least one day of diving in. Any other "outdoorsie" things to do around seattle....hiking/biking trials? Or can I anticipate a lot of rain the first week of June. Any hotel recommendations close to seattle conference center that don't cost 200$ per night???? The conference recc. Westin and Sheraton but those are a little pricey.

dogvet:
Hopefully I will be able to spend a few days in Seattle before by conference and get at least one day of diving in. Any other "outdoorsie" things to do around seattle....hiking/biking trials? Or can I anticipate a lot of rain the first week of June. Any hotel recommendations close to seattle conference center that don't cost 200$ per night???? The conference recc. Westin and Sheraton but those are a little pricey.
Seattle's all about outdoorsy ... it's the home of REI after all ... :D

Biking trails north, south, and east of the city ... the one on the east side runs about 27 miles, I think.

Awesome hiking trails about an hour's drive east of the city, in the Cascade mountains. Mt. Rainier is about 2 hours drive south. The Olympic Peninsula is just a ferry ride away. You can rent kayaks and go paddle around Elliott Bay. You can go out whale (orca) watching. The possibilities are vast.

Yes, it rains a lot in June. We don't let that stop us from doing anything. It's just water, after all.

Staying in downtown Seattle is expensive ... but there are few (if any) that are more expensive than the Westin. Plenty of less expensive options outside of the city ... and you haven't lived until you've experienced getting into or out of Seattle during rush hour. So live a little ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Orca's would be nice to see. I worked on a whale watching boat on east coast for 2 years and got to see tons of humpbacks and fin whales.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom