Seattle Aquarium Diving: A New Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I had a new experience yesterday that had me feeling almost like a new diver. I did my first dive in the Seattle Aquarium using an AGA mask (full face mask) using a surface supplied air hose along with a smaller tank on my back. Along with the surface supplied air hose there is also a communications line along with an earpiece and microphone in the mask.

Since I have recently learned these facts I'll share them as well: the Dome tank in the Aquarium is 20 feet deep and holds 400,000 gallons of water. The fill rate is 400-900 gallons/minute and the water turns over from 3-6 times per day. This is an open system with the water flowing in directly from Puget Sound and of course directly out to Puget Sound as well.

Dealing with the air hoses turned out to not be a very big deal but using the communications gear and the full face mask was harder than I thought it would be. I couldn't hear unless I quit swimming and sometimes I even had to quit breathing (not a good thing). I also found my vision to be a little more restricted because of the larger mask. There are some adjustments as to ear piece placement that will make things better over time along with technique (not swimming while talking/listening).

In addition to feeding the fish, talking and waving to the public, we have to clean windows and be aware of where the air hoses are so as not to damage kelp or various fitting in the aquarium. All in all it's a fun experience but one that has more of a learning curve than I would have anticipated given that we're basically just diving in a 20 foot swimming pool.

I forgot to mention that until you get the mask properly sealed it also leaks air and this makes enough noise that just this alone makes it impossible to hear anyone talking to you over the comm line (and the talking was continuous yesterday it seemed to me).

I'm sure it will be even more fun once the initial learning curve straightens out and I can concentrate fully on the tasks at hand.

Sounds like a lovely way to find new challenges to make diving more interesting, and at the same time do some good work. Very cool.

I was testing out some gear changes tonight at Cove 2 and that was me that asked your dive buddy for an assist with my drysuit zipper. I had a freeflow (not enough to end the dive but enough to keep it short and shallow) a new mask that I will not be using again (leaks due to just not fitting my face it seems) and the viz seemed to be around 5'. It was a useful dive but not particularly enjoyable. It was good to get wet however after being out of the water for 3 weeks.

I hope you guys had a more enjoyable dive.:wink: If your power is still off anyplace but home is probably enjoyable.

We had a lovely dive. Viz wasn't great, but it was better in Cove 3 than what you found, apparently. We were doing skills, anyway, and ran a bunch of line in the pilings and practiced following it with our eyes shut. It was great fun. We had one large seal who plagued us throughout, and followed us even up into the shallows -- We were admiring a ratfish in six feet of water when he went zooming past at full speed, shallower than we were!

And I came home to find the power is finally on. The best way to end what had already been a very nice evening.

Thanks for your detailed account of your first dive at the Seattle Aquarium. I have been looking into volunteering for some time now, but I need to get my last few cold water dives logged.

How much experience do you have? I only have 10 cold water dives logged but I am pretty comfortable. Do you have to use the full faced mask and comm system while diving in the aquarium? The air hose?

Thanks for any input...

TSandM:
And I came home to find the power is finally on. The best way to end what had already been a very nice evening.
Christmas came early this year, huh ?

:D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

DiveJockey:
Thanks for your detailed account of your first dive at the Seattle Aquarium. I have been looking into volunteering for some time now, but I need to get my last few cold water dives logged.

How much experience do you have? I only have 10 cold water dives logged but I am pretty comfortable. Do you have to use the full faced mask and comm system while diving in the aquarium? The air hose?

Thanks for any input...
I will fill in a few requirements to dive the Seattle Aquarium.
You must have the following:
at least 1 ~ 4 hour shift bi-weekly
1 year committment
18 years of age or older
OW Cert minimum
12 dives in local water within the last 12 months.
Dive log up to date.
Complete check out dives with the Aquarium
Annual dive physical ~ you pay the Dr. fee
Volunteer Orientation
Biology and Interpretation Training
Your own Mask Fins, exposure suit ~ wet or dry

You can contact
tricia.kokoszka@seattle.gov
for more information.

DiveJockey:

Thanks for any input...

Some of your questions have already been answered. I have about 700 dives but 12 cold water dives are the minimum requirement. You will be using a full face mask/comm system/hookah system if you dive in the Dome.

The only other place to dive is in the tropical section of the Aquarium (called PCR-Pacific Coral Reef). There you would use a regular face mask/3 mil wetsuit/no hookah system.

The Aquarium provides all gear for PCR except for your face mask. Just bring your bathing suit. No fins are used in that exhibit. For the Dome you provide exposure protection and your own fins. The rest is provided.

The gold standard for getting a seal with the AGA is with the latex hood/bonnet combo a la Viking. These can be put on any drysuit that can take latex seals. Once you have a functional seal, the AGA is quite pleasant.

I can't stand the AGA since my nose seems to really need to be pinched to valsalva and clear my ears (at least lately). The nose block just doesn't cut it for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom