Seasickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mskaprocki

Registered
Reaction score
I'm 14 years old, and since Saturday May 19, 2001, I've been SCUBA certified.
I'm not quite comfortable with it yet, you know that feeling still lurks around my head that something's going to go wrong.
Until Saturday, I thought it was all just a big misconception. In between dives I got seasick. I almost didn't go on my final dive! That was the first time in my whole life I've been seasick, and now I have a fear of it. And no, the ocean was very calm: 0-2 feet.
Can you help me discover a way to solve my fear with some medications? I preefer not the gel, and I don't know if the bands actually work, and I'm not to high on taking large pills! I just don't believe that anything actually works.
Thanks for your time, and I'll look foreward to hearing a response!

Mel

I sympathise - not the nicest of feelings.

On my last boat trip some of the divers wore the elasticated wrist bands... they seemed to help - well they weren't sick and it was quite rough.

I also find it more pleasant to sit facing forwards and where there's plenty of fresh air.

It may be that you got some of the fumes of the boat, I got a nasty lungfull - luckily after the last dive - which made me feel very ill (similar to seasickness) for almost an hour.

Hello Mel, rest assured seasickness can be combatted. What tends to help my students the most is watching what you eat prior to boarding the boat. Keep away from oily and acidic foods and beverages. Drink water, eat a bagel or even some ginger snaps.

Try not to bend over and work on gear while the boat is moving. Set up your gear before the boat even leaves the dock. On the way out avoid contact with exhaust fumes as well as smokers on the aft deck. Look out into the horizon and breath deeply.

When all else fails you can even take some seasickness medication. Hope this helps. Happy diving!

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

Hi, Mel.
First of all, let me assure you, *anyone* can get seasick. I've been around boats and ships all my life; spent 20 years in the Navy. Until a few years ago I could say "I just don't get seasick!" But now I know that on boats between 50 and 80 feet, in certain sea condidions, my tummy will flip-flop every time.
But - this is the good news - a single dramamine tablet taken an hour before sailing prevents the seasickness for me, and once I'm past that initial acclimation period, I'm fine for the duration, even if it's a week or more.
Before you take *any* medicine ask your parents.
Non-medicine things you can do -
1. Watch the horizon - one of the most common causes of motion sickness is a mismatch between what your eyes see and what your body feels. If you're looking at the boat, or anything on the boat, your eyes see "still" while your body feels movement, and when those two disagree it's your stomach that pays the price.
2. Get on the main deck, as close to the center of the boat as possible - this is the spot on the boat that moves the least.
3. As has been already mentioned, stay away from exhaust fumes and smoking passengers. (When I'm the dive leader, part of my brief is "If you have to smoke or puke, please proceed to the leeward corner of the boat to do so.")
Rick

Hey Mel,
All the above advice is good stuff.I think how ever that your sea-sickness is mainly caused by nervousness.That will stir up your stomach quicker than 10 hot enchillada's.
Try to relax.We all were a little nervous when we started diving and you are just like we were.Take a sea sickness tablet 1 hour before you leave on the boat.Get into fresh air away from fumes and stay as close to the middle of the boat as possible.This will lessen the roll effect of the boat.Talk to people to take your mind off of things.Get plenty of rest the night before or try to sleep on the boat.
Often closing our eyes lessens the effects of movement.
Discuss your fears with your instructor or person you trust and talk it out.Don't forget.Diving isn't a competition.It's supposed to be fun.You don't have to be the best or better than anyone else.Relax and be yourself.
Good diving buddy.It will get better.I promise.
Cheers big ears,
The Gasman.

For me having something in my stomach, is better than an empty stomach.

Last year I heard a DM tell a sick student that Banannas,and cinamon oatmeal works well. If it does come backup, it tastes about the same as it did the first time.

Congrats on your cert.

Tavi

Ewwww, Tavi - but I guess that makes sense! :p

I have never been seasick myself, but was just thinking about it and how to handle it as I'm going on my first liveaboard next year and would really hate to be ill. I'm glad you brought this Up, Mel and I hope you're able to conquer it. I will definitely take all these suggestions into consideration - dramamine is top of my list though!

Cheers Ears

(Gasman... how's it going in Korea?)

Hi Mel.

I captain a 24 fter off our coast and I have "fed the fishes" more than one off it myself. The advice you have been given so far really helps and here are a couple of my suggestions. First, avoid any type of close attention work like reading, that will get me fast. Stay OUT of the cabin of the boat if at all possible and look away from the boat. My preference for medication is a bit different from the others and is a medication called Bonine (also Dramamine II), the original Dramamine makes me sleepy. It can be found in most stores beside the Dramimime. Like Rick said, though, talk this option over with your parents. For you big kids, I find one just before bed the night before and one after breakfast works wonders.

Hey Keralucu,
Korea is still here and I haven't created an international incident yet...heheh
I arrived and was thrown into it straight away with a class session and a pool session at the Seoul Olympic pool used for the '88 olympics.a good facility but no shallow end to assist with demonstrations.By the time I got to bed I had been up for 43hrs with no snoozes.My bed was my best friend that night I can tell you.On sunday I go with the local dive club for a 2 dive trip on the otherside of the Korean penninsula and that will take 3-4 hours to get there one way.The eastern side is best I hear.There are some major safety issues with the Korean diving seen.They have had a disproportionate number of deaths per dive population.100 deaths with 40,000 divers out of 47million. N.Z. has 3.8 million with 190,000 divers and only 5 deaths last year.The figures don't add up.The impression I have is that there is a deliberate mentality here to take chances and not follow basic safety rules.A dive buddy here is more of a friend than someone by your side.I found this out when speaking to the dive club on Wed.night at a beer hall on the importance of pre and post dive briefings.They tend to ignore them here and the local instructors are some of the worst offenders.Hopefully I can get through.They respond well to foreign speakers better than the voices of their local instructors who try to teach good habits.If I can help save one life than I've done a good thing.I'm using my hotmail account at the moment so if you want to send a message direct then get me at gsomers36@hotmail.com and I will get back to you at my convenience...heheheh.(this has been a recording.At the tone of the beep please leave your message..........Cheers little dainty ears
The one and only......Gasman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom