Searching for my first set of gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can get a lot of almost new, used gear. If you're not in a hurry you can really get good deals. I've got bajillions in good gear for only a few bucks. I just picked up the last (tanks) the other day. I have to do the final math but I think I'm into my entire set at this point... -$300 assuming this batch of tanks work out. I like to wheel and deal and actually being in the black is a record even for me :)

As far as style of bcd, I learned like everyone else in a jacket. I disliked the squeeze. I rented and planned on buying an aqualung rogue, as close to a minimalist BP/W as I've seen on the shelf. I ended up with a Dive Rite transpaq, so a soft BP/W that has pockets. I like it quite a bit.

Curious as to what classifies as cold water in Southern California?

Still doing my research on the regulators. Liking the Scubapro MK17 / MK25, and considering A700. Butt not rushing into a purchase yet, a few more months before I can even consider local diving.

Biggest thing I am trying to keep in mind is brands that my LDS can service, the list below is what the brands they service, so definitely not limited on choices
  • Aeris
  • Aropec
  • Aquatec
  • Hollis
  • Tusa
  • OTS FFM
  • Ocean Reef FFM
  • Oxycheq
  • Hog/Edge
  • Sherwood
  • Scubapro
I purchased an A700 about 1.5 years ago and have it paired with a MK17. I love it. It's a great regulator and no one is really going to deny that. The only thing I would say is that it is kind of pricy for a first regulator and a lot of divers start off thinking they're going to be diving a lot and they kind of fade out and lose interest or free time or they move to where they can't dive, etc...If money isn't an option buy what you think looks good and what works well. To me the A700/MK17 is both of those.

For me the most important piece of equipment I have that I would not trade for any other is the computer. Its a shearwater. I have a predator a petrel 1 and a 2. I prefer the petrels because of the battery's. I like the shearwater overall because of the intuitive menu system and LARGE 2 button operation... scroll and select. If you get a computer and you need the manual to use it then you have nothing but what is on the default display. I personally don't think that much of the teric. I have not used it but I prefer the larger screen I can read. I at one time thought AI was needed but I guess I have out grown that after so many xmitter failures over the years. If you go with sherawater go with a used one it will last forever and you can get them for about 500. If you get a preditor the only drawback is the battery and it runs on only one type of battery and you dont get it at walmart or wallgreens. still it is a fantastic computer. Get your BPW used. You do not outgrow a bpw like you do a jacket. you get skinny and you cut the straps or buy a strap set for 20$ in you gain 30 lbs or so. You will appreciate that especially when you go to a dry suit and the BCD doesnt fit. now its a 20$ fix adn not a 400$ replacement. Dry suits carry air diffferently for instance I have a tls 350 and it has a lot of lift. the wing for it has a lot of lift at the waist because of the weight belt needed to comp for the suit lift depending on the undies you wear. the wing has a lot of lift at the waist because of that. In a wet suit in warm water that wing dies not work and I USE A OXYCHEQ DOUNUT WING. then there is the doubles configuration if you go that way in the future.... The BPW is the way to go. Regulators you can find anywhere and probably there is not one that is really better than others. If you dive in cold water get the cold water reg. Fins for my self I have found that I only have one pair that can be used with or with out dry suit boots. I now only dive with dry suit boots. So the possibility exists that you may have to have 2 pair of fins. I use quatros fins and jet fins with the dry suit to keep my feet down. you may have to try then buy or call the manufacturer for the correct size depending on the boots you will wear.

Yes. All of this. Sounds exactly like what I have done/still currently do.

People enjoy telling other people what to buy. I sure do! But realistically, a lot of what kit is going to work best for you is based on you, and you are still very much developing your diving. Not that it ever stops, but my point is try out multiple bcds if you can before you buy. Jackets are just terrible, but back-inflate models can be very nice. They are always going to be less hassle than BP/w, but at the cost of adaptability and less underwater performance. But it's so much personal preference that unless you are tech diving it's splitting hairs. I suggest buying a dive computer, BCD, and reg set, in that order. Regs are critical, but because they are universally critical in diving most rental regs are quality, maintained regs - in the US. Traveling is more iffy. Dive more and add one thing at a time.

People enjoy telling other people what to buy. I sure do! But realistically, a lot of what kit is going to work best for you is based on you, and you are still very much developing your diving. Not that it ever stops, but my point is try out multiple bcds if you can before you buy. Jackets are just terrible, but back-inflate models can be very nice. They are always going to be less hassle than BP/w, but at the cost of adaptability and less underwater performance. But it's so much personal preference that unless you are tech diving it's splitting hairs. I suggest buying a dive computer, BCD, and reg set, in that order. Regs are critical, but because they are universally critical in diving most rental regs are quality, maintained regs - in the US. Traveling is more iffy. Dive more and add one thing at a time.
I agree with you, going to be asking my LDS to see if it is possible to demo something I am seriously considering. They do mention they can usually arrange a pool demo. I was thinking computer first, BCD and reg set second at same time simply because they toss in a discount when you purchase those two together

Most shops will give you "package" pricing if you buy a few items together at the same time. Even if you only buy one at a time but give them repeated business if they see that you're a regular in the store, they tend to reward loyalty with better pricing. As long as you're spending money in their store (more than a couple hundred dollars) they will usually do what they can to keep you coming back. At least that's been my experience with my LDS. We have quite a few in the area (which is sort of funny since we're essentially land locked) but I've been a loyal customer to this one since I started diving. All of my gear with the exception of my tanks (Craigslist) has been purchased there. As has all of my wife's.

I'm thinking about buying used gear but don't know what I don't know. I've never bought anything from a private seller that my life depended upon. Any tips?

in some ways, it is similar to buying a used car. you need to know what to look for when inspecting the gear. may be helpful to have a more experienced diver from your local dive club give you a 2nd opinion.

some LDS will sell used gear from trade ins or rental gear after servicing which is similar to a CPO from a car dealer. you get assurance it is in working order and the price is in between stuff from craigslist/ebay and brand new.

regs don't make a whole lot of sense buying used sometimes due to the cost of servicing. a service on a 1st and 2 2nd stages can exceed 150 dollars. bcds are easier as they either work and don't leak or they don't. dive computers can be a crapshoot as with all used electronics.

if you aren't in a rush, black friday has generally dependable deals. otherwise, gear from online sources such as DGX and divers supply can be an option if you are on a budget.

I recently completed my closed water dives and am scheduled for my open waters this coming June. The dive center I’m going through has the option to buy our rental gear at the end of our coarse and given that my class is the first one of the year I’m planning on doing so.

With this I’d like to take advantage of this deal and am reaching out to friends and family to help with the cost. If willing, please join me in kick starting my adventure in scuba through this link.

https://www.gofundme.com/scuba-kit-...49959909-d672b0e26bbd4fe9&pc=ot_co_campmgmt_m

I recently completed my closed water dives and am scheduled for my open waters this coming June. The dive center I’m going through has the option to buy our rental gear at the end of our coarse and given that my class is the first one of the year I’m planning on doing so.

With this I’d like to take advantage of this deal and am reaching out to friends and family to help with the cost. If willing, please join me in kick starting my adventure in scuba through this link.

https://www.gofundme.com/scuba-kit-...49959909-d672b0e26bbd4fe9&pc=ot_co_campmgmt_m

Good effort but I think this is a TOS violation.

Would love to know what you have rented from the shop and what they are offering to sell it to you for.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom