Search function doesn't work well

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RV:
but ya know,,,, three letter searches work just fine on TheDecoStop.com, DiveMatrix.com, and CaveDive.net
In the past, we had the indexes rebuilt to include TLAs. But our plate is a bit full at the moment. So, something for which a work-around exists doesn't get the highest priority...

In the past, we had the indexes rebuilt to include TLAs. But our plate is a bit full at the moment. So, something for which a work-around exists doesn't get the highest priority...
It's not really a work around. It's the way the server is set by default or I should say
mysql.
You need to enable 3 letter searches , as the default is 4 letters if I recall.
then you set the setting in mysql. which is
Code:
ft_min_word_len=3
Restart mysql and then rebuilt the indexes in vb --
But first thing needs to be checked and see if ft_min_word_len=3 is set in the /etc/my.cnf file

To get past the three letter limit simply add a wildcard: *HUB

The main problem is that a multiple word search on scubaboard appears to be an OR function: it returns all posts with either word.

It would be a lot more usefull if it was an AND, like Google's, and returned only results with both words.

I do like the " " get around - will be very useful.

Cheers,
Rohan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom