Search for four missing Divers off coast of North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could the pressure activate any buttons on the device?
It's designed so that the buttons are covered by the hard plastic base of the antenna (when stowed)

One of the divers said they noted the strong current at the beginning of the dive, yet still did 40 minutes and surfaced 300 ~ yards from the boat. They were apparently spotted by a chopper and they dropped a small raft to them (?) this is why the rescue picture shows them in a raft when the Navy ship picked them up.

the NBC reporting was fine, this is something that few care about in the grand scheme of things, it was a feel good rescue story.

look to one of the local news papers or stations to supply the full info.

Some news agencies used the phrase, "...and had not resurfaced." Colloquially, that could mean; "Did not call or return home after some time."

It's designed so that the buttons are covered by the hard plastic base of the antenna (when stowed)
Difficult to test without sending an alert I guess.

Important thing is, all are ok.

The Post & Courier reported the following:

They dropped a marker bouy, not an anchor
“before they went into the water, they set a diving buoy to use as a marker “

They were spearfishing...
“as they plunged into the ocean with spear guns “

Yes, someone stayed on the boat........
“his friend, Willie Carter, the captain of a recreational boat called the Big Bill's “

The captain was watching the marker,
"The captain was focused on the site where they had dived, and he did not realize that the men were so far behind the boat,"

It was the captain who called the Coast Guard
“alerted the Coast Guard, which launched a multi-vehicle search and rescue effort, one that would continue throughout the night “

They ditched some of the gear
“He led the men to drop their weight belts, abandon the fish they had caught and release an oxygen tank “....”The men kept two of their four spear guns in case of any predators “

They locked arms
"Wiggins said they all locked arms with one another for safety, for warmth and to be more noticeable in the water"

It was a flashlight with a strobe signal
“used his diving flashlight to flash an SOS-signal strobe light into the air. “

The raft
"A Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City HC-130 Hercules airplane crew …. launched a life raft."

This link is probably the most informative answering questions:

Still seems unexplained to me why it took 4 hours to rescue them after being spotted if they were all together and actively signalling with a strobe to make it possible to continue to be located even if drifting.

Linking arms does not seem adequate. How about using your finger spool to tie each other together or some other way?

Difficult to test without sending an alert I guess.
there are two buttons T (test) and The Red One

Still seems unexplained to me why it took 4 hours to rescue them after being spotted
Destroyers can move at 30 knots. It is unlikely the Porter was near them, there isn't a range of any type in that area. It's more likely they were on the range off of VACAPES or Mayport, or transiting from one to the other. I could find out exactly but it isn't that important.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom